Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the need for decoder in encoder of mpeg-2 video codec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amith

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,
Iam refering to mpeg-2 video codec , in encoder there is also a decoder (inverse quantization & inverse DCT) why this is exact required .

amith

Re: mpeg-2

Hi Amith,
In most of the Video Coding algorithm, as you might be knowing motion estimation is done to exploit temporal redundancy. To perform ME, we require current frame as well as the reference frame which is nothing but the "decoded" previous frame. Hence , while encoding the current frame, we need to store the decoded current frame for performing ME for encoding of next frame.

I hope this answers ur question

~R

Hi ,
Thanks for your reply , for motion estimation what is the need of encoding & decoding , why dont we use that frame directly for motion estimation instead for
converting back again that frame .

HI amith,
We cant use the direct frame for the ME, bcoz at the deocder this frame is not available untill it is decoded. So at the encoder end it has to generate prediction values based on the reconstructed frame where same reconstructed frame will be used by decoder during motion compensation. If u use the original frame u'll end up in calculating wrong prediction values from the decoder point of view.

I hope this clears ur doubt.

~R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back