Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Waveguide port dimensions in simple microstrip antenna desig

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuantenna

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm designing simple microstrip antenna. I'm using waveguide port. Is there any way to estimate the dimensions for the waveguide port?
I'm asking becasue I tried many dimensions and for every one there is different input impedance and different bandwidth of the last result at -10dB!!!!!!

Regards

Re: Waveguide port dimensions in simple microstrip antenna d

I'm not sure what software you're using, but a good rule would be that the width should be +/- 4 times the feed width and the height should be 4 times the substrate depth.

The 2D Eigen mode solution of the port will show you if it is too small I woudl expect.

abuantenna

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Waveguide port dimensions in simple microstrip antenna

Hello,

I'm using CST. These 3, 4 times are something from your experience or it is written somewhere ?

Regards

Re: Waveguide port dimensions in simple microstrip antenna

abuantenna said:
Hello,

I'm using CST. These 3, 4 times are something from your experience or it is written somewhere ?

Regards

This is the figure given from their training slides and Ive used it in practice and it covers most situations.

You can always check by looking at the port mode (2D result), if you see some cones showing the E-field outside the port area then it's best to enlarge the port dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back