Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
plopboy said:
Hello,
My ICD2 clone (PiCS (Rev C) ) is not reconized on windows 7 (64bits).
I have tryed to install driver, with 64 bits driver from MPLab 8.30 and 8.42 and it does'nt work with this two versions.

Does anyone has the same problem ?

Check pin 1 (MCLR) on PIC 18f4550. (probably missing pull up resistor on this pin)

good luck!!!:idea::D

Actually PIC's version have two files which have been posted by PIC for 4550 one is with mclr being used and the other is where mclr is not supposed to be connected to + through a resistor, it is supposed to be left unconnected.
Which one are you using? I have not used the ICD2 clone with windows 7. However, that should not be a problem. With windows XP it works fine both in programming and debugging as well.

Hello,

I'm new and I would build a debugger for usual PICS (16F and 18F)
I found two versions of Potyo's ICD2 on this website : http://icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page

Which version should I use ? Are theses versions compatible with MPLab 8.43 ?

Thanks for your work !

I have not tried Potyo's versions as I am usually using 5V PICs. Potyo's versions are useful if you are using PICs which have different voltages. However, many have built Potyo's versions satisfactorily, I would say all the versions are ok to be built but problems do crop up and you have to solve these. Mostly these are related to the circuits you have made. I don't think compatibility is an issue with new MPLAB versions.

@Rama853 : I would like to say "use potyo2-rev2" but :

corrections between rev1/rev2 :

- D3 and the output buffer enable circuit
- IC5 is 74HC4066 instead of CD4066
- IC5 is powered by Vpp (~12V) instead of Vpp

This could be a huge problem : some 74HC4066 must be powered under 10V (see this philips version for exemple **broken link removed**)

rev1 don't works with some PIC24/dsPIC/PIC32 cause of the enable circuit.

Hi all,

You have done great job, congratulations.
I have a few questions and problems. I assembled Potyo2 board from http://icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page. I used ICD2 drivers from MPLAB 8.36 directory and my pc added my hardware to device manager.Here you can see
**broken link removed**
But at the end of the loading driver, windows said "A problem occured.This device may not work properly"

After that I checked my board and I saw USB LED on RC1 pin isn't on. I guess it must be on, right?And I am hearing a buzz when I bring my board close to my ear. I guess it cames from 100u capacitors.

My MPLAB 8.36's log

Code:
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
MPLAB ICD 2 ready for next operation

Could anyone help me?
What should I do now?

Regards...

Added after 3 hours 7 minutes:

I reread the all posts again :|. It takes a few hours and I found the my first question's answer.
Quote: potyo
why does not work USB led?
I don't know it's exact function, but is lights or blinks, when there is a problem in the usb connection. If USB is ok, it is dark.

So my board works fine because I can see it on device manager and USB LED is off and POWER LED is on.But MPLAB doesn't recognize my clone.And I am still hearing the interesting buzz.

Which connections should I check and what must I do now?

I have rechecked the schematic and pcb design and I saw Q4(BC237) transistor's direction is wrong on pcb design.Emitor pin should be connected to ground.I changed it and also changed 33pfs to 22pf.Now my clone is working well :D I hope it won't cause problems later :) And I found the source of noise. It cames from 34063 and L1 indictor.

So everything is all right. Thanks to all.

I use few years PICs ICD2 clone. One note from me:
Problem:
Unable to enter debug mode...
Solution:
1-Oscilator in target PIC must works
2-In Configure->Configuration bit must not be set: configuration bit set in code
3-For some PICS must be power up timer OFF

Good work

Re: icd2_4550_boot_0182

Hi everybody.
First of all, I have to say that you make a great job for the "amateur" programmers.
If what I writes isn't coherent, please forgive me cause I'm not used to speak English.
OK, next...
Im trying to make an Potyo2 Rev1 21/6/2007.

Here comes my questions:

I couldn't find a 0,47 Ohm even in Farnell nor RS, well it's not 100% true because i found a pair but they were 3W 5W etc... coiled and large, (surely the word is not coiled XD)
What can I do with his?, I believe that i readed here that 1 Ohm or similar goes on.
Im searching in the two main sellers of my city and it sucks because i can't see nothin lesser than 1 ohm. Can I make any change, a proportion with other resistor , If not i'll do something.

Ok, then...I bought the resistors and the fucking seller sold me 10K5 1% insted of 10K 1%, here we name this "darte gato por liebre" or "give him a cat instead of a rabbit"
I saw that this R does a divider with 1K5 1%, I hope this 10K could be 5% or not any critical value.

Finally a little note: It was hard to find a 170uH, but I found a 180uH, it's not better ( yes, it's lesser nice) a Resistor shape Inductor?

Sorry for the English, at least i don't use google translator directly.

Regards from Spain.

Last edited:

Re: icd2_4550_boot_0182

In Farnel make search 0R47 you wil find at least SMD. It easy to solder it. Or use ordinary 1R - 2 parallel.
10K5 1% insted of 10K -- OK,
170uH, but I found a 180uH -- OK but must check for which current it is. You need at least 50mA.
Resistor shape Inductor? --OK

- No, you can not use 18F2550 instead of 4550 (Parallel Port is needed)

Hi, did anybody try to replace PIC18F4550 with PIC18F45J50 ? It is XLP version, powered by 3.3V. But about three times cheaper.

Reactions: skb4

skb4

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Мой ICD2. Программирует и отлаживает программы в MPLAB v8.63 :grin:

Attachments

• ICD2-rs232-usb_0264.jpg
    ICD2-rs232-usb_0264.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • ICD2-RS232-USB_1.jpg
    ICD2-RS232-USB_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4840.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 115
  • KIT2_0011.JPG
    KIT2_0011.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 109
  • ICD-S40_0012.JPG
    ICD-S40_0012.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC_1233.JPG
    DSC_1233.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Reactions: nvv_62

nvv_62

Hi @all.
First of all thank you guys for the work and support here. Due to this work I am now at the point, that my potyo works partly.
I built rev2.
Now I can connect to MPLAB and can download firmware and all that. I raised VPP to 13V, BUT still I cannot validate a target even though one is connected. I tried different targets without success. I checked all connections to the target with a scope and it seems, that the clock voltage is to low. I see some clock pulses every 10 ms, but it raises only up to about 200mV. Any suggestions what the problem could be? What is the expected voltage of the clock signal? Should it be 5V? MPLAB powered all tried devices and I did not use 3V3 devices.
It might also help if someone can trace his signals with a scope and attach the screen. In the MCP programming guide I could not find this information.
Thank you in advance.

Мой ICD2. Программирует и отлаживает программы в MPLAB v8.63 :grin:
Разработал новую плату ICD2-R с иточником от адаптера +12V и +5V от источника USB. :roll:
Работает в среде CCS C Compiler PCWHD v4.107

Attachments

• NEW-ICD2-USB_0010.JPG
    NEW-ICD2-USB_0010.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 114
  • new-icd2-usb_0299.jpg
    new-icd2-usb_0299.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Reactions: nvv_62

nvv_62