Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post concerns the 13V, Vpp supply. It is not clear that the designs used here will shut down if the current exceeds 100ma which probably is already greater than what the USB can supply. I note that Andy123 uses a 78L08 to set the voltage and provide over current limit of 100ma.

I found a solution in the MAX761or MAX 762 which have a built in over-current limit of 150ma and can be set to 13V. There is also the MAX754 which has an internal over current limit of 120ma and a fixed 12V output. If the ICD2 clone will mainly be used to work with flash devices then 10V for Vpp is sufficient at a few ma; however, if you wish to program units other than flash then 13V is required at 50ma. Another solution for flash devices would be the MAX662, 12V, 30ma device which uses a charge pump and ,therefore, no inductors.

Rinthesun,

VPP (13V) is needed only to enter programming mode, should not sink too much current. If it does, when MAX enters protection mode, for 150mA at the output it will sink 460mA at the input for 85% efficiency, which won't be reach in that mode.
Plus USB section, plus PIC877 it could easy exceed 500mA.

Miti

It should be but don't bet on that.

USB does not have a by port overcurrent limit. When the USB device is first interrogted by the computer the current drawn must stay below 100ma. When it is recognized it can draw up to 500ma. If the USB hub has 4 ports it can supply 2 amps, i.e., 500ma per port. Typically the hub or computer will have a polyfuse to limit the overall current- 2amps. So you could draw 2amps from one port. If you are using a hub it must be power by a wart not off the main computer USB port.

So the way to make sure that the ICD2 cannot damage the USB port is to include a polyfuse in the design.

Hi all,

First I must thank everyone for developing this project.
I have build PICs design on a breadboard and after resolving some small problems it now works great. As I use the ICD daily, I now definately need to build one on a PCB to get rid of all loose wires hanging on my desk.
My only problem is, I don't have any experience in making PCB's and was wondering if someone was willing to do this for me.
Another option I thought of, was to have the pcb manufactured by some pcb-service. I saw olimex does a 100x160mm board for $26 (plus $6 for shipping). As the board can be made quite small, I guess 3 of them will fit on one of these boards, reducing the cost to some $11 per board. Is anyone else interested in sharing ?
Rob

I apologize if this has been mentioned previously, but I was unable to find it... For the PiCS version of the clone which I see over at icd2clone.com, does anyone know the manufacturer and model # of the plastic enclosure that it is designed for? (the one it is pictured mounted in, in the picture of revision B) I've searched the websites of the major plastic enclosure manufacturers I found being sold at digikey and mouser, and couldn't find anything quite right. I'd really like to be able to find it, so I can put mine in a perfectly-sized box when it's done.

:)

I would never think this topic will get over 90.000 views... :)

kewl,
Tha Zedman

Is best topic for edaboard and good work

Hi blueroomelectronics.

The ICD2 you are talking about is a RS232 version.
This topic is about the fast USB version, and it works!
I have realized the PICS version and it is OK.

Compliments to everyone that has worked in this project.

Luca.

For the case for repalcing the cypresss with PIC ICD u can also ask cypress the ICD developemnt board as a sample

ohh yes I know at it!
but "we wrote many messages many codes many schematics(30 pages) in the Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2 title"
Which message ,code ,schematic true?
ok regards

Hi

I'm out....
Can't take it any more....

18f4550/16f877 and 16f877a

Hex loaded from ICD2 Clone 4550 - PiCS

Anyone get this ?

Code:
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICDWarn0054:  MPLAB IDE has lost communications with the MPLAB ICD 2.  Would you like to attempt to reconnect?
Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation

Thanks for all your hard work..

potyo said:
mbyka said:
is there a final completed project about the ICD2?
without any problem a ICD2
Yes

hello:
I have test my ICD2,in power schematic,I have cancle the 0.47R resistor,and I test the VPP voltage is 11.9v
then I burn the 16f877a and 18f4550 bootloader,
then I plug the two chip to the chip slot.but the pc have no any change,and the usb device is not detect

why?
I must use the 0.47R resistor?

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back