Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Project to replace CY7C64613 in the ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

potyo posted 2 shematics and boards.

which one should I make ?

and what are the differences (supported pic, ?? )

Thx
Vince

lyxer said:
in this project,the pic18f4550 chip can be placed by pic18f4450?
no, soory but they can´t be interchanged, because the 4550 has USB port and thr 4450 doesn´t. May be for a 4455, but may be exists problems with the memory ranges.

Potyo - superb the sch. and brd. in Eagle. I want to ask you: L1 maybe replace with small inductance, tip R (like a resistor 0,25W) ? are the same curent (0,2A - 0,3A).
R17 and R2 maybe a potentiometer ? (to adjust out tension).
R28 - is necesary ?
Thanks (sorry for english).

vdaanen said:
potyo posted 2 shematics and boards.
which one should I make ?
The second version has variable vpp generator, and cmos switches on the PGD and PGC lines; because icd2 doesn't place these pins to High impedance on idle state if it is in programming mode. If you use icd2 for programming only, and target's PGD and PGC pins are used in the target board as outputs, then the target can't drive these pins to H or L state, because, icd2 forces it to one state. CMOS switches are added to avoid this problem. When the jumper X5 is in the right state, then icd2's pins and target's pins are connected only when the MCLR is near Vpp. This small enhancement is applicable for 8 bit MCUs only.
In the left state of the jumper this version works as normal ICD2
You know, what do you want!
vdaanen said:
and what are the differences (supported pic, ?? )
Either version supports all pics which are supported by original icd2.
medvonok said:
Potyo - superb the sch. and brd. in Eagle.
Thanks
medvonok said:
I want to ask you: L1 maybe replace with small inductance, tip R (like a resistor 0,25W) ? are the same curent (0,2A - 0,3A).
You can replace it by any type of inductor. If you can't find 170uH, then use 180 or 220.
medvonok said:
R17 and R2 maybe a potentiometer ? (to adjust out tension).
I think, there is no need for adjusting, the digital pot automatically adjusts the vpp voltage.
medvonok said:
R28 - is necesary ?
Probably the entire reset circuit is unnecessary, if You disable the external reset by config bits.

Hello, I'm new here, and I've read all the project from the beginning, but there is my question :
On this page there are two links to download the schematics :
h**p://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are two differents schematics. Which one is the latest ?
I assume that they both do the same but I'd like to realise the last one.

I realized an ICD2 clone thanks to this website :
h**p://membres.lycos.fr/silicium31/Electronique/PIC/free_icd.htm

Unfortunately for myself, I can't make it work. I had the following message :
"ICD2 Self test faile, see status tab for details".
I posted a message in the microhip's forum explaining the problem :
h**p://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=189927
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what is my problem.
thanks

Has anybody fix for this error ? :

ICD0029: Connected tool is not an MPLAB ICD 2: Product ID = 0x0 (MPLAB ICD (1))

It happens when switching between "operating systems" but not allways. I think it has to do with some part of OS. But what? After this error connecting to target is not possible until reconnect is done.

potyo,

just to be sure, the pic 16F is a pic 16f877 or a 16f877A ?

thx

V

hi there everyone. ok, i have a ques here, im sick of looking for DG411. Is it possible to use the combination of 7406 and 4066 to replace the place of 411? coz 411 is a NC switch, 4066 is a NO switch. so i plan to use 7406 (inverter) or any other inverting ic to convert 4066 to work as NC. I think that is possible. However, i want to ask how will it effect the circuit. or it would work just fine. comments needed. Thanks in advance :)

Hello, can someone answer my question a few posts above ?
Thank you a lot.

nissa said:
Hello, I'm new here, and I've read all the project from the beginning, but there is my question :
On this page there are two links to download the schematics :
h**p://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are two differents schematics. Which one is the latest ?
I assume that they both do the same but I'd like to realise the last one.
If you have read the topic, why do you ask stupid question? There is no last schematic. There are clones, which are more os less compatible with the original.
nissa said:
I realized an ICD2 clone thanks to this website :
h**p://membres.lycos.fr/silicium31/Electronique/PIC/free_icd.htm

Unfortunately for myself, I can't make it work. I had the following message :
"ICD2 Self test faile, see status tab for details".
I posted a message in the microhip's forum explaining the problem :
h**p://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=189927
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what is my problem.
thanks
The problem is with your board.
szlovak said:
Has anybody fix for this error ? :

It happens when switching between "operating systems" but not allways. I think it has to do with some part of OS. But what? After this error connecting to target is not possible until reconnect is done.
I think, the problem is with your board, not with the firmware. Anyway, make a probe with this firmware: **broken link removed**
vdaanen said:
just to be sure, the pic 16F is a pic 16f877 or a 16f877A ?
You can use either type, but the firmwares are different. From www.icd2clone.com you can download firmwares for both type. If you can, use 16F877A, because it's self programming is faster.

@potyo:

I think that these two identical ICD2 I've made from PICS schematic are done well. I use the same bootloader that you have posted , but with MCLR turned off, checksum 0x728d. Only L1 is removed. Here is the log from switching from one OS to another, it happens not always, I switched between dspic33, pic18 and pic16 few times:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICDWarn0030: MPLAB ICD2 is about to download a new operating system. If MPLAB IDE is just starting, it will appear to "hang" at the splash screen. Please be patient. MPLAB IDE will finish it's intialization after the OS is downloaded. (Note: You may wish to select to ignore this warning in the future.)
Downloading Operating System
...Connected
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
...Download Operating System Succeeded
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

now I press reconnect:

...Connected
Setting Vdd source to MPLAB ICD 2
and etc.

As i remember, i have received similar messages, when the 16F877's reset transistor was bad. Remove the 4550, and check, what happens on the 16F877's MCLR pin, when you apply low or high level to 4550's RB3 pin.

I am new to this forum and I find the whole process very interesting, but confusing. The process started with someone stating a problem he wished solved, in this case, a low cost, full speed ICD2 clone using USB. The big problem was that the USB chip used by Microchip was no longer in production. Building on the RS232-ICD2 solutions, over several months, most of the basic problems were solved. Several individuals, among the core group, built versions of the ICD2/USB that fit their idea of the optimum device.

As a goal of the forum, I would like to have seen the development of an easily built, low-cost, thoroughly tested ICD2/USB, such as a variation of the PiCS version. To accomplish that, a design would need to be finalized, a beta pcb generated (Olimex $20.) and group debugged. The most important part of this process is that the unit be thoroughly tested. After reading all the posts, I do not get the feeling that any of the units built are claimed to be bulletproof.

On to another subject, early on in the forum - Mike,K8LH - asked about a ICD2/USB from Hong Kong. For those of you who have not found the source for this unit, it is www.etekronics.com. The price of the unit is $72. plus $12. international shipping from Hong Kong. For that price two ZIP programming socket pcb's are included. Now the big question, has anyone tried this ICD2 and does it work?

rinthesun

I think, everybody in this topic had built ICD2 for homemade purposes, not for sale. Therefore these clones will never be thoroughly tested.
rinthesun said:
Now the big question, has anyone tried this ICD2 and does it work?
I'm sure that it works. BUT I see 74HC125 (not HCT125) buffers on the pictures. According to datasheets, these buffers require >3.5V on the inputs, to detect it as high level. This clone will not work with targets running at lower voltages (24F, dsPic and 8bit uC's under 3.5V).

I build the USB ICD2 few months ago and I tested all that time with no problems. The ICD is very very fast, with file registers tab and 6 watch tabs open the steeping is a fraction of second!! For those that work with RS232 they now what I mean...For the newers in this forum I have all the info (sch...)..and more, in the following page **broken link removed**.
Now I am building a USB driver for PIC USB com info and driver you can finf also in the above webpage.
For the ICD I say again IS BUILDED, CHECKED, AND WORKING.
Regards Nick

Hi NICK7
Have you tested ICD2 with target, which runs from 2V?

Wich version to assemble

hi guys.
I have a working RS232 ICD2 clone and I want to "upgrade" to the USB version.
Wich design do you suggest to make? I mean there´s a lot of PCB´s around here...

Thanks.

:D

potyo said:
Hi NICK7
Have you tested ICD2 with target, which runs from 2V?

Potyo I have test it for 3.3V (16LF877A) with no problems
Nick

Can anybody explain why use LM385 (IC4) instead of transistor for Vpp?**broken link removed** And there is very nice solution for program-only-mode, T2 and T3 do it

szlovak said:
Can anybody explain why use LM385 (IC4) instead of transistor for Vpp?
It is simpler, but not fully equivalent to the original. Can't connect targets mclr to targets vdd. I don't recommend it, use DG411 or 74LS07+transistors.
szlovak said:
And there is very nice solution for program-only-mode, T2 and T3 do it
T2 and T3 are inverters in this circuit. This circuit will not work with targets below 4V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back