Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Help] HFSS Spiral inductor design

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss inductor

Hi guys,

I am newbie in HFSS. I need to design an on-chip spiral inductor, and I plan to design it using HFSS, there is couple of topic mention that HFSS having a spiral inductor wizard to help the user to design spiral inductor, but i can't find it anywhere in the hfss.. anyone can guide me?

thanks!

hfss spiral inductor

You can use Draw/Spiral to draw the circular spiral inductor. To draw the rectangular spiral You can make a VB-macro (In CST-MWS such macro already exist). There is no 'spiral inductor wizard' in HFSS as I know.

Regards,
Kit

hfss inductor simulation

I want to do the same inductor but using
"AWR-Microwave office".

Could anyone help.??? :) Thanks

inductor hfss

For MWO you would write a Visual Basic script to generate the ploygon and assign cell ports. The spiral would either be it's own subcircuit or GDS cell. Some of the GaAs PDKs have spiral inductors but these are fixed artwork, not paramterized. Sonnet would be ideal for simulation since it has conformal meshing.

spiral inductor design

Hi seadolphine2000:

AWR Microwave Office should have predefined spiral inductor shapes for you. Then, I think you just copy the geometry in the layout window, and paste into your EM Project Window.

I think you can also create spiral inductors using Sonnet's "Palette of Standard Geometries" and import it into Microwave Office. You can do it this way:
1. Install Sonnet Lite and AWR Microwave Office on the same computer
2. In AWR MWO, create a blank EM Project
3. Set the Native Editor for the EM Project to be Sonnet
4. Open the EM Project in the Native Editor (that will open the Sonnet Project
Editor for your blank project.
5. Create the dielectrics, and create your spiral using the Sonnet Palette of
Standard Geometries item (Tools->Add Metalization... and you will see a
list of things that they have menus for creating).
6. Save the Sonnet Project and exit
7. AWR MWO will automatically come back up, and your EM Project will have the stuff you created in Sonnet already drawn.

You can then either use the Sonnet EM analysis engine to simulate it, or use the AWR EM analysis engine to simulate it...whichever you want.

--Max

hfss inductor tutorial

Hi..

HFSS distribute their own spiral inductor kit for the designer, which is good. But I still facing some problem in setting up the problem. The problem more likely is due to the 0.18um technology there they are having different dielectric layer between the metal layer, which this confuse me, as the example normally give are inductor located in the oxide layer.

Perhap anyone here can give me a guide in setting up the problem state above?

hfss spiral inductor example

theres an example in the tutorial of hfss. it may help u

spiral inductor

If you want to draw a spiral in free SonnetLite (www.sonnetsoftware.com, I work for Sonnet), bring up the layout editor, Tools->Metalization, then you have a choice of round, square, or arbitrary polygonal spirals. Specify the number of turns and dimensions, and then you place the spiral where you want it, connect ports, and analyze. If you have not used Sonnet before, be sure to do Help->Tutorial first. The tutorial takes about 45 minutes.

spiral inductor hfss

I would strongly recommend using a moment-method tool such as Sonnet Lite or IE3D. They will be much faster for this type of design work (planar EM). 3D field solvers such as HFSS are very inefficient at this particular type of problem since they must mesh the entire space.

Moment-method solvers only mesh the metal surfaces. There is a spiral inductor example on the Sonnet Lite webpage. There are spiral inductor examples in the IE3D examples directory. The accuracy of IE3D for calculating the inductance of spiral inductors is well-documented. You will be amazed at the speed difference (if you are used to 3D field solvers).

hi may i know where can i input the coordinate entry field?Im trying to follow the tutorial, their instruction was "Using the coordinate entry fields, enter the box position X: -270.0, Y: -270.0, Z: 0.0, Press the Enter key"

i wish to simulate a 100khz magnetic radiation pattern on spiral square coil using ansoft hfss. Is the program able to do such frequency?

attached is my square coil which i wound on hardware.
rgds
alexlimjh@yahoo.com.sg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back