Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Developing an engineering portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

instruite

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am working on a new engineering portal and will like your help for development of the same. My present forum is at www.coepinstru.org/forum
The new engineering portal will be for all the engineering branches with more focus on Instrumentation and Control Engineering.
Right now I have decided to add the following features to the portal system
1) Forum- same as the present a few forum categories may be added or deleted
Point system will be implemented in the forum which might be used in other features of the portal
2) Directory Section
a) Colleges - Information about different colleges will be added here with the links for the recent events in the colleges (If you want to get your college added in the list from start mail me the details about the same at instruite@nandrajog.com)
b) Companies - Brief information about the companies with information about their products (if you want to get your company listed in the directory mail me at instruite@nandrajog.com)
The directroy section will have categorized view and also a search function
3) Calender - displaying events in various colleges and comapnies or confrences and birthdays of the members
4) Download and Link section
a) Ebooks - will host the ebooks which are free ( the books will be hosted only after having the authors permission)
b) Softwares - will host the engineering related softwares which are free (this also will be hosted only after having the required company/person permission)
c) Microcontroller/DSP source code - the contributions of the members
5) Knowledgebase - different articles on various engineering topics

If you think any other feature should be added to the portal let me know your suggestions

Also If you would like to be the part of development team let me know how you can help

Looking forward for your replies

What you want to know ?
I'm working to a similar port and after I've start the work I realise how hard is :) . This type of job cost a lot of money and time . If you don't have both your chance is to low .We can discuss all this in private .

Hi
Thanks for the reply
I am already developing the portal so I too know how hard and time consuming it is
this post was to check users point of view, like what kinda features people will like to have in portal system
And my statement that
instruite said:
Also If you would like to be the part of development team let me know how you can help
was for like if anybody else is also interested in developing such system or be part of such system can join
I didnt meant that I need professionals to develop my portal

I think that only with free permitted ebooks you will unlikelly get many visitors :cry:

sergeystepanenko said:
I think that only with free permitted ebooks you will unlikelly get many visitors :cry:
I know that but the ebooks are not the main focus of my portal they will be just an added feature

One suggestion that i feel for you is ... you should try to get online on different messengers most of time ... also increase your friends and community ... as they would be more helpfull for you and on messenger would be available on all time ...

One apritiable thing that i feel in your portal is you have a forum for college ... thats a good thing but ... there should also be a forum for jobs etc ...

I think you should also have
the Project section
where different ready made industrial,
college projects in various areas of
engineering with download links
(communications,signal processing,
DSP etc).

fahadislam2006 said:
One apritiable thing that i feel in your portal is you have a forum for college ... thats a good thing but ... there should also be a forum for jobs etc ...
Thanks for the suggestion I will try to keep one forum for job purpose
lincolndsp said:
I think you should also have
the Project section
where different ready made industrial,
college projects in various areas of
engineering with download links
(communications,signal processing,
DSP etc).
I had the same Idea but the problem with this is that it will only make lazy engineering students more lazy [;)][:)]

hi
if you want your portal be useful for everybody translate it to several language.

webmaster_ph said:
Hi instruite,

I could assist in developing the portal. I have setup several of these. PM me if you need my help. :D
Will let you know soon
gharibe_12000 said:
hi
if you want your portal be useful for everybody translate it to several language.
Thanks for the suggestion but that will take a huge amount of work so it might take some time to implement it

Hi all,
I am testing the engineering portal at
**broken link removed**

Any help in testing the portal before launch will be appreciated
The present features we are testing are
**broken link removed**

1) Forum - like this one (but I think I will start that forum from scratch and post and user database from here wont be ported there)

2) News - Various news reagrding different colleges, companies and even people will be posted

3) Directory Section (Yellow Pages) - Details about related companies and colleges (if you want to get your college or company listed pm me)

4) Calender - to give information about various events (pm me if you are having any event in may and june)

5) Jobs - Companies can post their job requirements and people looking for job can post their resumes for the same

6) Downloads - Still working on categories for this section (but there wont be any pirated or cracked stuff)

7) Link directory - Collections of various helpful links (like e-learning posts of this forum)

8) Knowledgebase - will create a knowledge base from various articles of the members (if you like to submit one to our database pm me)

9) Seminars (under consideration) - allows conducting online seminars

10) Projects (beta) - to develop projects with the online community

11) Chat and online messenger - to interact with other members of the society

12) RSS Feed - for latest news and posts of the society

If you like to help us just join our site at test area and check the features and let us know your suggestions

There is also link called 'Join our staff' if you will like to help us in the development of the site

All the people involved in development of the site will be credited in the 'Credits' Page

Salam

There should be a section only for solution manuals

Thanks

ainsean said:
Salam

There should be a section only for solution manuals

Thanks
Thanks for the suggestion

I will keep a category in download and link section for solution manual also

I have two similar portals , electromania.ro & electromaniacs.com , under development . from my experience is good to use a paid forum , I use IPB who is the safe forum software (it cost 185$ but worth each $)(**broken link removed** have only a few days :) and is the international version of the electromania.ro forum ). We made and a chat with different rooms using Blab software . Is important to share files with the users of the portal so will be great if you will implement a upload/download section . I very important to have your ouw server because of the huge trafic when the portal will have more users and tons of files . We hope to implemet in the future some online design tools ,but for this time we will need to finish the part we already start .
I hope you will have succes with this portal and is very important to have more of this.
If you will need some specific advices or help please use pm :)
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.