Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Two-stage OTA design - why high gain stage won't give prob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee484

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all..

I have a simple and basic question...

Say I am designing a twe-stage ota. The first stage is for gain and the second stage is for output swing - for example, the first stage is telescopic ota and the second one is a common-source amplifier.

The small-signal gain of the first stage is 1000 and the second stage is 20.

I am wondering...if the input of the first stage is 50mV, internally the output of the first stage is then 5V???(say Vdd is 3V) - even though this two-stage ota is used in feedback system so that it has closed-loop gain of 2.

Why is this high gain stage (the first stage) not a problem???

I think I am confused with small signal and large signal concept.

Could anyone explain clearly??

The other question I have is my friend told me in 2 stage OTA with compensation, I have to crosswiring for compensation network (Cc and Rc). Do you know what that means? I think it is totally dependent on topology.

Thanks in advance
I th

Re: Two-stage OTA design - why high gain stage won't give pr

i have some metrial realted to ur OTA design,if it could help u in any means......

ee484

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

check this reference.....

ee484

check this as well.......

ee484

this one is a IEEE reference releated to project also covering ur topic.

Thanks...a lot.
I'll read your reference materials...Did I explain the material clearly? I am not a native english speaker..so I am just worried if my quesions were clear.

Thank you...

hello,
i am really newbie in analog design but here is what i think >> the i/p signal is large but the feedback signal is large too , what is important is the diffrence signal "error" this is the signal which will be amplified by the OTA "high gain" , so what u need to take care of is that the o/p signal swing "u want" is working in open loop configuration (in this case u i/p very small signal = (swing u want) / (ota's gain)), as "i think" if the swing is acheivable in the open loop configuration w/o causing any transistor to go out of saturation then after u did the feedback the transistors will be OK also.
i am really not sure but this is what i could guess.
bye,
a.safwat

Status
Not open for further replies.