Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to read input of parallel port using status register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhi_yi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
input to parallel port

hi there, please help me, how to read input of parallel port using status register??

i tried to test it using push button, i've made the pcb without anti bouncing circuit on it (i forgot to place it). can it work? one of the push button's pin is connect to the Vcc, and another one is connect to the input of the parallel port, if i press the push button, the Vcc will go through into the parallel port, i tried it, but it can't work, please help me out, where is the problems?

can the code below works?

while(1){
a = inportb(status);
printf("%x",a);
if(kbhit()) _exit(0);
}

i tried it, but it can't work, please help me..

thank you.. :)
zhi yi

Re: input to parallel port

If you are trying this on WinXP or Win2000 it will not work, because you don't have direct access to the hardware. Try this on DOS. For Windows XP or 2000 you will need a device driver. Search previous posts.

input to parallel port

there is a parallel port programming library "parapin" for linux ... extremely simple to use, and it works

okay, thank you very much :)

i try it in win98, i think it's work on windows 98, by the way, where to download the device driver for windows xp? and also the parapin?

i thought i know where is my mistake, the status port is normally set to high, if i give signal high to it, of course nothing would change, i thought i should change the circuit, first i connect the push button to the Vcc, if the push button is pressed, it would short to ground, therefore the input to status port would changed, is it right?

zhi_yi said:
where to download the device driver for windows xp?

Again, I recommend porttalk driver, because it's very simple for use and you have some examples how to communicate with parallel port. I try it and it works fine.

Code:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm

Hi,
try parallel port complete

Fire in The Wire :idea:

hi, thank you all.. :)

i am sorry, i am not yet read the articles at beyondlogic about the driver for windows XP, can you please kindly make a summary for me? :b what i need to do? is it i just need to download the software, and then run the software, and then it's all accomplished so i can access the i/o port through windows XP? please give me the steps to do it.. thank you very much.. :)

input to parallel port

You can work with WindowsXP for parallel port interfacing. I have done in C and Java.Only u have to install userport.zip. Then everything will work fine.

You can get the codes and tutorials from my book
MY EXPERIENCE IN PARALLEL PORT INTERFACING
you can get it from yahoo group-booksbybibin
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/booksbybibin/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back