Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Subchannelization in Wireless Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedeed

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
subchannelization

what is meant by the term "subchanneliztion" in wireless systems like WiMax?
How can a designer benfit from such a technique

subchannelization in wimax

Subchannelization is a part of adaptive modulation scheme in WiMAX. In WiMAX, Base station decides whether it should communicate with Subscriber station in a highly-robust modulation (i.e. BPSK- 1/2) or a relaxed modulation with higher throughput (i.e. 64 QAM 3/4) when channel is good (like LOS).

If channel is not good, the most possible robust modulation is BPSK 1/2. After this, if the quality of communication is still not good, and if both BS and SS support subchannelization, BS will start communication in sub-channelization mode, which means:

Divide the ofdm subcarriers (say,256) into number of subchannels (say, 16). Then don''t send anything on some of the sub-channels and transmit on only few sub-channels with more power. For example , if only one of the 16 subchannels is used, power in that sub-channel will be 16 times more (12 dB I guess). Therefore, it allows the BS and SS to talk in a worse channel condition.

Another reason for subchannelization is to share OFDM signal between different subscribers.

Regads -TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back