Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How and where to use PID controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiyan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i wantto ask about PID controllaer where i use p wheere and which sitvation i use I and D ?2nd if i wantto controll motor speed through PID in which manner i mean where i use integral where i use d and p?

Re: PID

P-proportional
It is used adjust response of your controller. If too big you will have large overshoot and oscillations in controller response (motor speed etc.). First you adjust this parameter.
I-integral
It is used to minimize steady state error. It should be small othervise you will cancel P part. This parameter is adjusted after tuninig of P part.
D-derivative
It is used to compensate large change of error (d(err)/dt). Usually one doesn't use it because it relies on data in "future". This paparemeter is tuned last.

if i wantto controll MAchine speed like i wanna constant speed of machine which integral i will us e?

Integrator is formed by an operational amplifier if you want to realise it in analog otherwise is digital. Try to do some serach in www. I found some good file about it but I cannot remember where I save it. When you make your controller you have to make it work then do fine tuning of your response by changing P and I term.

Regards.

P.S.
Please click helped.

hiyan said:
i wantto ask about PID controllaer where i use p wheere and which sitvation i use I and D ?2nd if i wantto controll motor speed through PID in which manner i mean where i use integral where i use d and p?
I controller will reduce steady state error by increasing order of the system(also it will increase the number of zeros)
D controller will reduce overshoot by increasing damping of the system.....(it will also increase the number of zeros like I controller)

Again question is which part of controller keep Motor speed constant ?

I ,p or D:?:

kindly explain me .thanks

PID

Have a look at Microchips website and application notes for motor control. Lots of examples and c code to implement constant speed. Normaly, a PI controller will do the trick.

atc9443 said:
Great sites to learn about PIDs

h**p://www.learncontrols.com
h**p://www.jashaw.com
also, PIDs with matlab and simulink tutorials:
h**p://www.library.cmu.edu/ctms/ctms/pid/pid.htm

I think the first link has to be: http://www.learncontrol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.