Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120V 60Hz - 220V 50Hz?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketpc

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
50hz transformer on 60hz

My cousin gave me telephone device bring from USA. AC adaptor was marked AC 120V, 60Hz, output 9V ~ 850mA, but mains in my country is 220V 50Hz. How can I use it? I try to use a transformer with output 110V, it works good but slightly hot after about 30'.
Thank you for viewing.

.. it works good but slightly hot after about 30' ..
I wouldn't worry much .. most of power adapters will generate some heat .. it's pretty normal ..

Regards,
IanP

A 60Hz transformer used on a 50Hz supply will be slightly over fluxed and heat up a bit more. One could compensate by reducing the rated applied voltage by 15-20%. For a 50Hz transformer on 60Hz you would increase the applied voltage

Dear pocketpc
you mentioned that thr adapter output is 9v,850 mA ,AC . Are you sure the output is AC 9V.
I would suggest you put another adapter better than using two adapters.

Check polarity notation on your adaptor.
and buy similar adaptor (220V/50Hz to 9V/1000mA or higher).

Regards
Davood.

I've been using a transformer output 110V. It's well. Thank all.:D

there are 2 standards of power..
220 with 50 Hz
110 with 60 Hz..

from market u can buy converters from onestandard to the other..
otherwise, there is a chance of malfuntioning...

can i use gsm charger for 220V with 120V network, becouse i am from Bulgaria and here the current is 220V ~50Hz, i plan to travel in USA can i use my charger only with jack for USA standart

THANKS

Hi, You can use the 120V transformer in a 220 - 230 V system. simply put a capacitor of X2 type between the transformer and one 220 -230 V line. You can calculate the capacitor by the Xc = 1/ 2*PI*Fr*C Fr = 50 Hz and C is the unknown. Xc is the resistance you need in between the transformer and the 220 V network. I did this in the past and works perfect. Very cheap way out.

Paul.

Naveed Alam said:
there are 2 standards of power..
220 with 50 Hz
110 with 60 Hz..

from market u can buy converters from onestandard to the other..
otherwise, there is a chance of malfuntioning...

There is no such standards!!
Either 440V, 380V,220V,110V - 60Hz
Or 440V, 380V,220V,110V - 60Hz

E-design is correct. it will produce some heat and over voltage if you use 60 Hz transformer on 50 Hz because while designing turns/volt ratio, frequency(Hz) is a factor.

Use your own country adaptor which provides output 9V ~ 850mA

you can u a step up transformer.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back