Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accessing fat32 under winnt - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srik

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fat32 winnt

is there any way I can access fat32 partition from winnt?

winnt fat32

I don't see what is your problem. You can have multiple partitions in your HD. Some in fat and the others in ntfs. You can also migrate the fat partitions to ntfs, but the reverse.

pardal said:
I don't see what is your problem. You can have multiple partitions in your HD. Some in fat and the others in ntfs. You can also migrate the fat partitions to ntfs, but the reverse.
yes it is right for "new" NT systems - win2k and winXP. you can install both this system on ntfs partition or on fat32 one.
but if you have windows NT 4.0 - you have to install it on ntfs only, and winNT4 cann't see fat32 partitions.
you can find some utils in the web for winNT4 to see fat32.
if it is a case, and you cann't find these utilities, it is possible to help you.
best regards.
u_f_o

yes winnt4,
It dont see fat32

I do not want to 'mount' the partition,
but only access the files in a fat32 partition from winnt4 as read-only.

Some tools can help you to read fat32 in nt4 system. I remember one of the tools called driverspace or something like that. You can go to search it.

FAT32 is a FAT32 file system driver for Windows NT 4.0. Once installed, any FAT32 drives present on your system will be fully accessible as native Windows NT volumes.

Recommended FAT32 Configuration
Do not convert your first partition, or your NT boot partition (the one with \winnt on it), to FAT32 as there is no support in Windows NT 4.0 for reading FAT32 drives during the boot sequence.

h**p://w*w.sysinternals.com/files/fat32.exe

p.s.
January 10
FAT32 for Windows NT v4.0
We've released FAT32 for Windows NT 4.0 read/write as freeware!!!! :)

Some tools you could use to edit the FAT, such as commander.

try partition magic...its amazing!!!

the version of pq magic I have (v 5) dont work under winnt,
Anyway solution providied by 'dainis' works fine.

thank you
srik

solution providied by 'dainis', fat32 works fine
yes, i can confirm that with winNT4, but:
if this fat32 section contains a lot of files, you might run into trouble. i'm not sure if this is a simple 'not enough pointers' problem or more. As i said it works fine, but sometimes it cannot open (enough) files in the fat32 section

rgds
amberhawk

sofar no problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back