Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital based instrumentation system

Status
Not open for further replies.

moustafa ali

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I am currntly working in my graduation project, we aim to design and implement a digital system including Computer based Oscilloscope and Function generator as well as network analyzer.. any suggestions??
The project supervisor requires solid knowledge in computer interfacing, embedded systems programming, C programming and some other things ...

Please feed back any useful data ..
Thank you ..
Moustafa.

hello
**broken link removed**
Here you have link to manual of Velleman PC based function generator. Which frequency you need generating and analysing

You can find many threads on the PC-based oscilloscope topic ..
Just use SEARCH and type, for example, "PC AND oscilloscope"

Regards,
IanP

Can anyone tell what are the parameters with which you can specify your limits? i.e. assume you need to desing a function generator with frequency upto 30MHz, can this be applied practically??

I hope you got what i mean..

moustafa ali said:
Hello
I am currntly working in my graduation project, we aim to design and implement a digital system including Computer based Oscilloscope and Function generator as well as network analyzer.. any suggestions??
The project supervisor requires solid knowledge in computer interfacing, embedded systems programming, C programming and some other things ...

Please feed back any useful data ..
Thank you ..
Moustafa.

hi moustafa.hakan here.i also chose digital oscilloscope as a project this year and i can clearly say that it needs computer interfacing and and programming skill from the past.im coping with VC++ nowadays and as this project needs visulisation u have to take data from serial port and manipulate it with the help of c++.as u wish to use vc++ and make the visuliation its very different from c++ interface.so its better first that u start from the visual language because i think that the other parts are easier to deal with.
for the speed boosters:i plan to use pic 16f877a with 20mhz osc. but the result would be around 1-2 mhz ,iguess.so its u to u to design it with more expensive and different systems.

Hello xjackal
I liked your reply but i have some quistions
How to start to learn VC++ assuming that i have pure white knowledge in it :D ? and what level should i reach in it ??

Why not using FPGA or other similar staff i think it may be faster than PIC and hence higher BW can be optained?

If you are still need to use PIC, I wonder doesn't it any faster PIC than teh F877>>

Any suggestions about the system block diagram or any clear info about it?

Thank you very much

thanks for the links ahmed and i find this introduction in si fab iwill send it to you

ahmad_abdulghany said:
Hello xjackal
I liked your reply but i have some quistions
How to start to learn VC++ assuming that i have pure white knowledge in it :D ? and what level should i reach in it ??

Why not using FPGA or other similar staff i think it may be faster than PIC and hence higher BW can be optained?

If you are still need to use PIC, I wonder doesn't it any faster PIC than teh F877>>

Any suggestions about the system block diagram or any clear info about it?

Thank you very much
hi ahmad.thanx for the reply.but as i read ur post i can realise the differences between u and me.cause fpga is a pure white knowledge for me as vc++ is for u.and of course if u know how to design it with fpga and want more speed and have enough time to make it in long period dont wait.i couldnt understand the pic question u wrote but i guess .its about speed of 877.so i think its best too for storage and speed.i may upload the diagram here.

guys this is the simplified block diagram of what i plan to build.in fact i also influenced from this project.the address is http://www.cmccord.co.uk/FYP/3.htm#3.2
and if u plan to start a project like this i would first suggest u to read a little bit from here first.
hope that helps!;)

A vector network analyzer would be a good challenging project. Most VNAs are expensive instruments, but here's a small hobby kit with full documentation and software that you can study, and then design your own. If you don't know RF design, you could build an audio frequency version.
https://www.tapr.org/kits_vna.html
**broken link removed**

Hello
First I would like to thank both xjackal and echo47 for their valuable help,
I think from echo47 reply that you have some information about the Network analyzer, can you please give me some points describing what is it exactly or some general guide lines.
For you Xjacal, wonderful block diagram and very smart thinking :D but i think the analog section that converts between the -/+100V to 0-5V ranges should be smart enough or have some sort of trials (with counter or something else) to be able to display the actual voltage levels on screen. Is this what you did? If yes please tell how, and if no, then how you got your idea to work as a 1:1 oscilloscope?
I hope you get me and can submit more help
Best Regards to you all
And good co-op.
Ahmad,

ahmad_abdulghany said:
Hello
First I would like to thank both xjackal and echo47 for their valuable help,
I think from echo47 reply that you have some information about the Network analyzer, can you please give me some points describing what is it exactly or some general guide lines.
For you Xjacal, wonderful block diagram and very smart thinking :D but i think the analog section that converts between the -/+100V to 0-5V ranges should be smart enough or have some sort of trials (with counter or something else) to be able to display the actual voltage levels on screen. Is this what you did? If yes please tell how, and if no, then how you got your idea to work as a 1:1 oscilloscope?
I hope you get me and can submit more help
Best Regards to you all
And good co-op.
Ahmad,
Ahmad my friend,please visit the link and u will find more than u want.And later lets share our ideas.right?

A VNA applies a frequency sweep to the device-under-test, and then measure two or three voltages and phases. Depending on how you've connected things, the analyzer can then compute useful information such as impedance, gain, frequency response, phase response, reflection, S parameters, etc.

Here's a simple VNA example used as an impedance analzyer. Be sure to click "see the figure":
**broken link removed**

If you build an audio frequency VNA, try measuring the impedance of a hi-fi loudspeaker. You will quickly see how dramatically it deviates from the "4 ohms" or "8 ohms" printed on it's label.

Here is one of my home speakers. Notice the bass resonance at about 28 Hz:

hi moustafa

I found one link to PC LPT scope: **broken link removed**

Another PC based LPT oscilloscope
**broken link removed**

Very nice cooperation
Thank you all .. but what about Network analyzers and PC based function generators?!
I thought also to make a PC based PBX, any suggestions?
Waiting... :D
Thanks guys,
Ahmad,

Maybe you can use National Instruments LabVIEW

in combination with CompactRIO you can make this I think.

kind regards,

mobile-it said:
Maybe you can use National Instruments LabVIEW

in combination with CompactRIO you can make this I think.

kind regards,

Sorry, but i don't understand who you mean with your reply me or first other? also i dont get what is LabVIEW and CompactRIO?? can you clarify more..
Thanks in advance
Ahmad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back