Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to do PhD, in US or in Europe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svarun

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
In the warm company of God's most exquisite creati
Activity points
Doing PhD in US/EU

Hi all,

If you are looking to do a PhD in Electromagnetics/Microwave Circuits/ Computational EM etc. would your prefer doing it in EU or in US ? Can you mention some good groups in both these places.

Regards

svarun

Re: Doing PhD in US/EU

I would recommend US, but that is only because I have never myself attended an EU univeristy. Several in the US that have really strong programs in this area are Georgia Tech and North Carolina State. One in Scotland that I visited this summer that is really good is Heriot Watt near Edinburgh, another that I have not visited (yet) is U. of Birmingham (both are doing excellent work in high temperature superconductors). There certainly many others, perhaps this posting will motivate some other suggestions. This is a real exciting time to get involved in leading-edge microwave research. Good luck!

For computational EM, I think UIUC (University of Illnois at Urbana-Champagne) is the best choice.

Getting into some of those universities are a bit tough (saw the experiences of a really bright friend of mine). Moreover in US they look mainly at your academics/ranks etc. A really motivated person in a specific field even if he is good in it might find it tough to get into those places just because he would have got a few bad grades in some unrelated subjects. A person getting good grades allround might do well but the really interested guy might do something spectacular. So basically how do you go about convincing the Profs that you are good enough to do work with them ?

svarun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back