Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC/DC converter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastevano

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a question regarding the output voltage calculations of a DC to DC boost converter. I understand how to calcuate the output if the input is a pure DC signal.

In my application, I'll be using a diode bridge rectifier to convert my AC voltage to DC. This is the waveform that will be the input to my boost converter.

What input voltage should I use? Do I take the average or the rms of the signal after the bridge rectifier?

The control loop will adjust the duty-cycle for you and maintain the output voltage constant, so the output voltage will be set not by the input voltage but by the divider and reference. The duty-cycle will change according to the INSTANTANEOUS input voltage, keeping the output constant.
To get an idea of where the average duty-cycle will be, just use the average input voltage. The maximum duty-cycle will correspond to the minimum instantaneous voltage and the minimum duty-cycle will occur for the maximum instantaneous input.
But to calculate the transistor current always use the minimum instantaneous voltage, for a worst-case scenario.

mastevano

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I assume that you are using smoothing capacitor between the bridge and your boost converter, so your input unregulated voltage will be roughly 1.4 * AC (rms) voltage before the bridge, and that value (-x% ripple) you can use in transistor calculations ..
Regards,
IanP

mastevano

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.