Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use a cell phone battery on a mp3 player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i am thinking of making a circuit that will use a Li-ion 3.7v battery and use it on a mp3 player that originally uses an AAA battery. If i use resistors in the circuit to drop the 3.7v to 1.5v will the power dissipated in the resistors be significant? Will the Li-ion battery actually last longer than an AAA battery? Also do I need to concern about the currents?

sf1 said:
Hi, i am thinking of making a circuit that will use a Li-ion 3.7v battery and use it on a mp3 player that originally uses an AAA battery. If i use resistors in the circuit to drop the 3.7v to 1.5v will the power dissipated in the resistors be significant? Will the Li-ion battery actually last longer than an AAA battery? Also do I need to concern about the currents?

depend how much curret unit draw. but you always waste energy 1.5 Volt -> 3.7 Volt to heat and only using 30-40 % of batterys total energy capacity if only using linary regulator (or resistance if current is very constant with using) to take down voltage.

but 3.0-4.0 Volt is very attractive if you want more power to eraphone amplifier for louder soundlevel without clipping...

---

possibe to find couple of circurits to convert 3.0-4.2 Volt from LiIon-battery to 1.5 Volt without so much loss.

See maxim, Analog device, and nationa semicontctor etc.

If you had to ask me, I would have to say SMPS although more complicated than linear voltage regulators. They are more efficient.

Sputnik :idea:

Hi,

You can get a single battery, I am not sure if it is 1.5V though.

I have seen these loose batteries being sold in quantity of three pcs.

I can check which cell phone uses them if you wish.

Bye.

You can try to make a switching mode power supply(DC - DC convertor) by yourself with chip comes from ST or Linear Technology and few passive components. It's effiency is can reach up to 85% or even higher.

oh heck, just stick lots of 1n4001 type diodes inline with the +v to drop the voltage.

Each one should drop 0.6v

Much easier than building a psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back