Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx' ML403 Development Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinicius

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am thinking on buying a FPGA development board and i came across Xilinx' ML403 board and it seemed quite complete, with USB controller, LCD display, audio codec, video DAC, system ACE...

But I was wondering if it is really worth the price ($495) or if there is better priced options. Has anyone bought it? Feedback needed.

Thanks in advance

I have the ML402 and ML403. Both work fine, except one of them was missing a DIP switch. The board has a lot of stuff on it that drives up the cost. Stuff you may not need. The kit includes a power supply, but no software, no documentation, no interface cable. You must buy/download them separately. That kinda sucks, because the $99 Spartan-3 kit includes CDROMs, printed manuals, an interface cable, and now a CPLD kit!

Beware: The ML40x board's default demo code talks to the RS-232 port. If you connect that port to a Win2k SP3 computer and try to reboot the computer, Windows plug-and-play will detect the port, get confused, and crash with a cryptic BSOD.

There aren't many Virtex-4 development boards available yet. The Avnet/Memec Mini-Module looks interesting, but I haven't tried it:
**broken link removed**

Nice list of FPGA boards:
http://www.fpga-faq.org/FPGA_Boards.shtml

vinicius

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks echo47, but while I was looking for option i came across the Virtex 2 pro development system ( http://www.digilentinc.com/info/XUPV2P.cfm ) which was designed for Xilinx' University Program. It was seems quite complete (I lose USB controllers but gain Gigabit transceivers) and is $200 cheaper than the ML403. What you guys think about it?

P.S: In this case the user have to buy the DDR SDRAM module separately but if i can use ordinary PC modules it shouldn't be a problem...

I haven't used the Diligent V2P board. It looks like a good deal if you qualify for the student price. Beware the comment about "delays in order fulfillment".

The V2P board has 10/100 ethernet. The ML40x has gigabit ethernet.

Here is board description on Xilinx web page, including link to info about memory modules:
https://www.xilinx.com/univ/xupv2p.html

vinicius

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi i think we should consider the software. The V2P didn't support ISE webpack edition(the free edition) and spartan3 development board still support it.
If you know how to get the software(i think ISE support it) in nice price please tell me too :).
Good luck and thanks

I have ordered my board; its DO-ML403-EDK-ISE-USB-US.

I got it all for 695.00 ; there was a special @ TechOnLine ; presentation 111403.

I recommand you ask Xilinx; send an email to "ppc_tol_special@xilinx.com"
and see if they can arrange it; this is assuming you are intrested efcource

movingbait
Ü

Yes, the free WebPACK supports only the smallest FPGA devices, unfortunately not the ones on the V2P and V4 boards discussed above here. Here's a list:
https://www.xilinx.com/ise/products/webpack_config.htm

Xilinx offers deep discounts to universities. If you are a student, talk to your instructor or academic advisor:
**broken link removed**

movingbait, which ISE and EDK licenses were included with your kit? Are they full versions or limited versions that only work with the development board? Xilinx advertising is always vague about that. ISE BaseX normally costs $700 and EDK $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back