Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HSPICE simulation internal timestep too small in transient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manjunatha_hv

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hspice option converge

Hello,

I am simulatig S-parameter file with pulse source as input
pulse width= 4 ns, Trise=10ps, Tfall=10ps using HSPICE...
But I am getting the following error message...

tran: time= 5.00000E-10 tot_iter= 24 conv_iter= 12
**error** internal timestep too small in transient analysis
sweep: tran tran0 end, cpu clock= 7.70E+01 memory= 3315 kb
>error ***** hspice job aborted

Please help me...

Thanks...

changing timestep in transient simulation

hspice_sim_analysis.pdf

I think you can find the answer in this file.

time step too small after lte checking

I have the old document of hspice_sim_analysis.pdf Release U-2003.03-PA, March 2003

is this same or the latest one Release W-2004.09, September 2004...

Also if you have the latest manual of HSPICESignalIntegrityGuide Release W-2004.09, September 2004...

please upload / attach the same...

timestep too small

Decrease the internal timestep, what happed?

tran timestep too small

check your ckt and try to find any mistake.
and increase the timestep, try again.

hspice method=gear s-parameter

yes, it is a convergence problem.
add a small cap (such as 1ff) or big Res(such as 100M) on each node and try.

hspice timestep too small

Check the circuit and see whether the parameters is reasonable.

post simulation internal timestep too small

Manjunatha_hv said:
I have the old document of hspice_sim_analysis.pdf Release U-2003.03-PA, March 2003

is this same or the latest one Release W-2004.09, September 2004...

Also if you have the latest manual of HSPICESignalIntegrityGuide Release W-2004.09, September 2004...

please upload / attach the same...
Sorry, I only have the release U-2003.03-PA, March 2003.
The guys tell the answer, there are some convergence problems.

transient analysis s-parameter hspice

Yes...it is a Convergence problem...
I saw in the HSPICE manual...

An internal timestep too small error message indicates that the
circuit failed to converge. The cause of the failure can be that
HSPICE cannot use stated initial conditions to calculate the
actual DC operating point.

If transient analysis fails to converge using .OPTION METHOD=
TRAP and DVDT timesteps (for example, due to trapezoidal
oscillation), and HSPICE reports an internal timestep too small error,
HSPICE then starts the autoconvergence process by default. This
process sets .OPTION METHOD=GEAR and LVLTIM=2, and uses
the Local Truncation Error (LTE) timestep algorithm. HSPICE then
runs another transient analysis, to automatically obtain convergent
results.
To manually improve on autoconvergence results, or if
autoconvergence fails to converge, you can do either of the following:
• Set.OPTION METHOD=GEAR in the netlist, and try to obtain
convergent results directly.
To improve accuracy or speed, you can adjust tstep in a .TRAN
statement, or in transient control options (such as RMAX, RELQ,
CHGTOL, or TRTOL).

But even after setting the HSPICE .OPTION to
.OPTIONS ACCURATE=0 FAST=0 KCLTEST=0 METHOD=GEAR BRIEF=0 LVLTIM=2 PIVOT=3 PIVTOL=1e-6

It didn't converge ...& it is failing again & again...
I tried all the suggestion posted...but no success..
Please help me...

---manju---

hspice+kcltest

Did you try these items? One or two of these items can always solve my convergence problem.

Solutions for transient convergence

The following solutions apply to problems with transient convergence:

Solution 0. Check circuit topology and connectivity (as in solution 0 in the dc analysis).

Solution 1. Set RELTOL=.01 in the .OPTIONS statement. For example, specify ".OPTIONS RELTOL=.01." For most simulations, reducing RELTOL speeds simulation 10 to 50% with only a minor loss in accuracy. You can set RELTOL to .01 for initial simulations and then reset it when you have the simulation going the way you like it and need a more accurate answer.

Solution 2. Set ITL4=100 in the .OPTIONS statement. For example, specifying ".OPTIONS ITL4=100'' increases the number of transient iterations at each time point that IsSpice goes through before giving up.

Solution 3. Reduce the accuracy of ABSTOL and VNTOL if current and voltage levels allow. For example, specify ".OPTIONS ABSTOL=1N VNTOL=1M." You can set ABSTOL and VNTOL about eight orders of magnitude below the average voltage and current. Defaults are "ABSTOL=1PA" and "VNTOL=1UV."

Solution 4. Model your circuit realistically. Add parasitics, especially stray and junction capacitance. The idea here is to smooth any strong nonlinearities or discontinuities, which you can do by adding capacitance to various nodes and by making sure that all semiconductor junctions have capacitance. Other tips include:

* Use RC snubbers around diodes.
* Specify capacitance for all semiconductor junctions (3 pF for diodes, 5 pF for BJTs if you do not know the specific value).
* Add realistic circuit and element parasitics.
* Find a subcircuit representation if the model doesn't fit the device behavior, especially for RF and power devices like RF BJTs and power MOSFETs.

Many vendors cheat by trying to "force-fit" the Spice .MODEL statement to represent a device's behavior. This is a sure sign that the vendor has skimped on quality in favor of quantity. You cannot use primitive .MODEL statements to model most devices above 200 MHz because of the effects of package parasitics, and you cannot use .MODEL statements to model most power devices because of extreme nonlinear behavior. In particular, if your vendor uses a .MODEL statement to model a power MOSFET, throw away the model. It's almost certainly useless for transient analysis.

Solution 5. Reduce the rise and fall times of PULSE sources. For example, change "VCC 1 0 PULSE 0 1 0 0 0'' to "VCC 1 0 PULSE 0 1 0 1U 1U." Again the point is to smooth strong nonlinearities. Pulse times should be realistic, not ideal. If you don't specify rise or fall times or if you specify 0, the times default to the TSTEP value in the .TRAN statement.

Solution 6. Change to gear integration. For example, specify ".OPTIONS METHOD=GEAR." You should couple gear integration with a reduction in the RELTOL value. This technique tends to produce a more stable numerical solution, while trapezoidal integration tends to produce a less stable solution. Gear integration often produces superior results for power circuitry simulations because of the high-frequency ringing and long simulation periods gear integration involves. IsSpice includes both trapezoidal and gear integration.

Special casesYou can take additional steps in some cases. With MOSFETs, check the connectivity; connecting two gates to each other but to nothing else results in a PIVTOL or singular-matrix error. Also check the model level. Spice 2 does not behave properly when MOSFETs of different levels are in the same simulation.

For long transient runs, set .OPTIONS parameter ITL5 to 0 to specify that the simulation run to completion, no matter how many iterations it takes. For good reason, Spice 3 eliminates the need for both the ITL5 and LIMPTS options.

If you still can't get converged, you'd better check your circuit topology and your models - sometime an incomplete model may also cause this.

hspice_sim_analysis.pdf

I used a 20-port s-parameter file for the analysis...I verified it is working fine in frequency domain (Harmonic Balance) Simulator...
But I want to simulate in time domain simulator (HSOPICE)

Dear bageduke:
I very appreciate your offer solution,
and I follow step of your solution, eventually,
I got it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.