Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to implement an AES encryption/decryption algorithm: in FPGA or in CPLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udaykamboj

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on implementing an optimised AES Encryption/Decryption Algorithm in either an FPGA/CPLD. Could anyone tell me which one is better to use and why?

FPGA or CPLD?

should b the FPGA.... cpld hav limited i/o pins... FPGA hav lots of i/o pin...

however, FPGA is sram base... tht mean it is volatile memory...

CPLD is non-volatile memory....

however, resources in FPGA is so many times larger than the CPLD...

regards,
sp

FPGA or CPLD?

if your project needs alot of resources, you have to choose FPGA, but some of CPLDs, from @ltare(MAXII) and LATICE etc, have more resources than before, you may estimate the required resources first.

Re: FPGA or CPLD?

working on AES algorithm requires lots of resources which are available only in FPGA

I think if your algorith is complex, i prefer to use FPGA. The CPLD has an advantages in hardware respons. It's quicker because it's consist of macro cell. But CPLD lacks of flip-flop but FPGA has a lot of it. May be you should consider your algorithm :)
That's what i know.

FPGA will be better choice bcos you will have lot of resource option for implementing algorithem.

I think FPGA is prefered, because FPGA has enough resource to implement the AES algorism.

The FPGA of course is a the best option. But it is better to choose an FPGA which is having Embedded memory blocks in built to implement the lookup table better. In the case of Xilinx choose the VirtexII or above in Altera choose Acex1k or above. I dont have idea about the other FPGAs. But choose something which is having inbuilt memory

--moorthi

As for blockram resources, Xilinx Spartan 2 or Spartan 3 models come with blockrams also. See the Spartan 2/3 datasheets for details. Choose the chip according to your desired throughput, also. If you aim for high throughputs a Virtex chip is probably a better solution. For most applications i would go with a Spartan-3 chip.

I feel fpga is better as it is much more efficient than cplds.If U want U r design to be economical then go for CPLDs

CPLD and FPGA is the same?
can any of you explain?

you should use FPGA, because

general CPLD has lower logic capacity to

meet your needs.

best regards

udaykamboj said:
I am working on implementing an optimised AES Encryption/Decryption Algorithm in either an FPGA/CPLD. Could anyone tell me which one is better to use and why?

I 've worked with CPLD and my opinion is that there is serious restriction in the designs' size. A simple ALU and CPLD is full. :cry:
I haven't work with FPGA, but i 'm trying to learn now.

Could anyone list the basic steps for programming a spartan 3 Xilinx FPGA:?:

FPGA or CPLD?

Please clarify "basic steps for programming". That question is extremely broad.

By the way, are you using the Xilinx/Digilent Spartan-3 Starter Kit? Many folks here have that kit.

the fpga is sram teqnology but cpld is nonvolatile teq
is oyu used the fpga kit , the kit must buit in by flash memory
so u will compare by power consumpsion (fpga less)
and then for the number of gates (fpga more )

in last FPGA
:D

Such as Lattice XO

cdcll said:
if your project needs alot of resources, you have to choose FPGA, but some of CPLDs, from @ltare(MAXII) and LATICE etc, have more resources than before, you may estimate the required resources first.

Status
Not open for further replies.