Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quad band antenna for GSM bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_kolkata

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

can anybody spare me any idea about designing a quad-band antenna to cover all the four GSM bands(850,900,1800,1900).i'm trying to design one simple,possibly single layer microstrip patch antenna(PIFA) for these four bands.any idea or suggestions or links will be appriciated.

thanx

abhi

Hi,

I am not a RF engineer but I know from a big player on the mobile devices market that they are only implementing a tri-band antenna on their mobile phones. They do it by condensating-technology or something like that. I don't know why they don't make a 4band antenna maybe because the quality of the signal would be very bad....

Hi,

there are various designs of quad-band antenna operating in 900,1800,1900 and UMTS bands. Search the iexplorer or electronics letter for quad-band antenna (1 know one well documented one with dimensions by a french group published in iee electronic letters, recently also one by loughbrough university). You can use the same concept of using slots and capacitive methods to attain your frequency of interest. Usually, you either design the antenna for either 900 or 850 and use the higher band for American standard. I have not have any experience and requirment for designing for both lower GSM bands.

Regards,
Element7k

abhi_kolkata said:
hi,

can anybody spare me any idea about designing a quad-band antenna to cover all the four GSM bands(850,900,1800,1900).i'm trying to design one simple,possibly single layer microstrip fix antenna(PIFA) for these four bands.any idea or suggestions or links will be appriciated.

thanx

abhi

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

if any one havin design on dual band 900/1800 Mhz range but with gain of 7.5 dbi den plz put d link of it...

Most of the antenna companies are now working on quad-band, or even penta-band antenna.

Basically the PIFA/monopole type antennas with some matching circuits would work. Of course, the VSWR/RL usually is not as good as the single band antenna. But 2.5~3.0 VSWR / 6 dB RL are generally acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back