Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pad limited Vs core limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjali

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pad limited

whats the difference between core limited & pad limited placement.

pad limited core limited

If pads are too much, it is pad limited.
On the other hand, if pads are too few and there is space between pads, it's core limited.

core limited pad limited

if its a core limited placement, how the continuity is maintained between the pads. is it using filler pads?

if its a pad limited, core area might be wasted. how it is avoided?

Added after 17 seconds:

if its a core limited placement, how the continuity is maintained between the pads. is it using filler pads?

if its a pad limited, core area might be wasted. how it is avoided?

core limited vs pad limited

If a chip is pad limited, you've got more I/Os than can be fit on the die.

One solution might be to see if there are I/Os you can get rid of. If possible, in parallel, try and understand the cost difference if you went to a larger die and maybe a larger package if you needed to keep all I/O. Having unused space in core might be a good thing - it might allow you to operate at faster frequencies or add more functionality in the future.

If a chip is core limited, too much logic and can't fit in the die. Can any logic be removed? If not, then see what it would take to bring it to a larger die and/or a larger package.

By pad continuity, I think you mean keeping the same pad assignments on the die. You might need to change them if you go with a bigger die.

pad limit

If the chip is pad limited, you can do the following:
1. See if you can reduce the width of any data busses. One way to do this is to half the size of the bus and double its speed, so that the bandwidth is maintained.
2. See if some of the pins can be shared. These pins will have dual functionality, which can be configured by the chip.
3. See if flip-chip packaging is feasible, that way you can put mulitple rows of pads on each side.
4. Add your name and photo on the white spaces in the chip :D

If the chip is core limited, you can do the following:
1. Remove any redundant/unused logic
2. Consider removing some functions that are not important
3. Move to a smaller technology

Of course, if you don't care about die size, you can simply grow the chip size without worrying about any of the above.

core limited

Hi Anjali,

Pad limit pad is long and narrow. Core limited pad is fat and shorter. This make sense as overall area is smaller.

Most pad libraries for 0.1*um are pad limited. I have not seen a core limit pad for deep sub micron.

There is only additional requirement for core-limited pad. The huge PMOS and NMOS for ESD protection are put on both end of the pad (ie. [PMOS Logic NMOS]), alternate pads are always flipped so that PMOS faces a PMOS and NMOS faces a NMOS. It is good to reduce PMOS-NMOS junctions for huge transistor. (pad limit pad have the pmos and nmos stack on top of one another, so no need to flip).

Regards,
Eng Han

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back