Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ansoft HFSS Question - Lumped Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

savedadogs

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss black box

Hi does anyone know if I can simulate a structure that has lumped components? Do I just basically have to draw the inductor or capacitor with the correct material makeups or can I use a 'black-box' approach. I do not think I can do the black-box approach since HFSS is a full 3D simulator...

hfss combine designer

For black box approach, I don't think it can be done. However, there is an option with HFSS + Ansoft Designer combination.

You need to set up ports at the point where you have lumped component in HFSS. Like capacitor case, at the pad to GND. Let say you name this port as P1 and P2. Then you need to connect the model in Ansoft Designer. Then you place the capacitor from the library from P1 to P2 in Ansoft designer (there is student version). Then run your whole simulation in Ansoft Designer based on your model in HFSS.

I think there is a way...
you draw a rectangule between the two edges that will
be connected, rigth click and assign a Lumped RLC.

savedadogs

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the advice. I am trying the RLC boundary...it appears to work. Is this just an ideal component?

Is this just an ideal component?
Yes, it is an ideal component. But, you can combine it
with others parallel or serial componentes to simulate
a non-ideal. As for calculations due to variability of
the value, I think HFSS can do some calculations but I
do not know how to do that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back