Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulating DC Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhamini

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what i need to do is vary/regulate the output on a DC power supply. first, i need to find said power supply... (5amp / 6-12volt, or something close to that, if you have any ideas)...
then i want to be able to regulate the output...
i've hit every electronics and hobby store in town, answered a few questions, but created quite a few more.. some suggestions were a car battery charger or a light dimmer switch in combination with a power supply..
but there were no definite ideas, so i hope maybe some of you can help..

You probably won't find a bench power supply in stores around town. You need to go to a test equipment dealer. For example, Tucker in USA sells several brands. Just click a logo at the bottom of the page, such as Topward:
**broken link removed**

mhamini

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You can design a smps(swiched mode power supply)
this is power efficient(dont forget to put free wheeling diodes)

My advice is, you can try to find unregulated power supply that gives you voltage that is 3 volts grater than your required voltage, and at specified current, if you have no luck you can design one. Once you have that, use voltage regulator ( you might need to use external transistors to increase ampere rating of a voltage regulator.... I saw a circuit in some power electronics book) Best bet is adjustable voltage regulator. I am not sure what you need with car battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.