Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with a tms470?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeTo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tms470

Hello, I'm an electornics udergraduate student. I'm just getting started with electronic courses (just finished all math & physics courses :D), but after three years without making anything electronics-related I have got a bit bored.

Since I know a bit if assembler I decided I could start playing with some microcontrollers. Even if I burn them, I guess I should learn something one way or the other :|

Anyway, I was looking for information about PIC microcontrollers and the tms470. I ordered some tms470 samples from ti which should arrive in a few days. Right now I can't buy a PIC as I have to order them by mail as there are no retailers where I live.

How much harder is to start working on tms470 in comparison to a PIC? Is there any site on the net with introductory information?

I have also one doubt with the microcontroller programmer. I have seem several programmer schematics for the pic along with software to upload code. But I can't understand how does the programming process works for the TI microcontroller. What is needed for programming the tms470?

Sorry for the long post and endless questions :|

tms470 programmer

Some people says that Olimex wiggler can program TMS470 (on Olimex site you can find schematic), I really didn't test it, because I have bought JLINK of IAR ($250,00). PIC generally is first step because it has compilers with wizards, some resources and samples projects on net, reduced instruction set for assembler, more easy to interface (supply by +5V only, can source more current at IO pins). In TMS470 you need dual supply (1.9V and 3.3V), but has some IOs, HET timer, 16 ADC channels, CAN, J1850 ... it can work at 48MHz, has internal PLL, DMA, at end of year it go to 1M of flash memory and use an ARM7TDMI core with some advantages on PIC devices, but much more difficult to start. This processor generally is used for automotive and MIMO controllers....

Look others posts:

Maybe the better start for you is PIC and MSP430 family of TI.
For PIC and MSP is easy construct your owner programmer and with assembler you can use MPLAB for PIC (free) and for MSP use IAR Workbench (for assembler it isn't limited).

leomecma

what is tms470

Thank you for advice. I guess I'll have to wait to wait until I get some points to look at that development board pdf, but anyway, I have some time, as I'll look onto the msp first. If I fail to understand it, I'll rollback to the pic.

tms470 programming

I do not agree, that it is better for student to start with PIC. Maybe it is better
for hobbyist. If you are a good student, start directly with 32-bit microcontroller.
But for the beginning I think the better choice is the Philips LPC2100 series, because
you can find a lot of information in the web.
You can start with www.keil.com

programming tms470

I know this is going to sound like an ignorant question, but houw much programming could differ between the TMS470 and the LPC2100? Both are ARM7 microcontrollers, so do they share a similar instruction set?

tms470

all ARM7 based MCU share common arm or thumb instruction set ,but have different peripheral module ,and have diff performance.

tms470 forum

you can work with any other controller if you have grapsed the concept of one. But PIC is easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.