Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

theenes

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi..i'm theenes..i'm an ENE undergraduate......i need an advice on ..the type of PIC i can use for designing an optical power meter..actually i need to use a photosensor or photodiode detector to sense the optical source i going to drive through fiber optic..Or do i need to use other kind of microcontroller?
pls i need help on that..and can anybody give me some advice on what kind of photodiode i can use to design optical power meter.....
thanking you in full of anticipation..

brgds,
theenes

Re: can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power m

I build a similar device many years ago without any uC. You only need a photo diode with a sensitive area that is big enough to gather the complete beam. I think I used something like this Centronics type (big noise !!!):
**broken link removed**
Then you need an OpAmp, potis, resitors, caps and a panel meter - that's all I think.
Maybe for mass production it's cheaper to replace the panel meter and the potis for calibration by a PIC and a LCD glass. Useful would be a PIC type with LCD controller on chip. A PIC16F77 or 16F876 can be used to control a LCD glass (without Controller!), but that's a lot of fun --> use a LCD module with integrated controller.
The internal EEPROM of the 16F876 can be used to store some calibration data.

Mik

theenes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power m

thanks mik..for ur advice..so its a good idea for me to use PIC16F876a/77a,rite..
anyway can i use IF-691(photodiode)..
https://www.i-fiberoptics.com/leds/IFD91.pdf
because i propose that i going to drive the optical source through fiber optic to photodiode to minimize losses and noise...so do you think plastic fiber optic photodiode can be used...and another problem i may face is the optic source such as laser source...any suggestion on laser diode with fiber optic...
since i using PIC and my topic is to design a lower cost optical power meter..can i use 7 segment display...?besides that can i have a look on ur circuitry design of optical power meter ...it will be a great help for my project..
thanks a lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back