+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power meter

hi..i'm theenes..i'm an ENE undergraduate......i need an advice on ..the type of PIC i can use for designing an optical power meter..actually i need to use a photosensor or photodiode detector to sense the optical source i going to drive through fiber optic..Or do i need to use other kind of microcontroller?
    pls i need help on that..and can anybody give me some advice on what kind of photodiode i can use to design optical power meter.....
    thanking you in full of anticipation..

brgds,
    theenes

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 2
    Helped
    120 / 120
    Level

Re: can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power m

I build a similar device many years ago without any uC. You only need a photo diode with a sensitive area that is big enough to gather the complete beam. I think I used something like this Centronics type (big noise !!!):
    http://images.mercateo.com/pdf/RS_Co...ts/5019700.pdf
    Then you need an OpAmp, potis, resitors, caps and a panel meter - that's all I think.
    Maybe for mass production it's cheaper to replace the panel meter and the potis for calibration by a PIC and a LCD glass. Useful would be a PIC type with LCD controller on chip. A PIC16F77 or 16F876 can be used to control a LCD glass (without Controller!), but that's a lot of fun --> use a LCD module with integrated controller.
    The internal EEPROM of the 16F876 can be used to store some calibration data.

Mik

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: can i use PIC16F876/77A for designing an optical power m

thanks mik..for ur advice..so its a good idea for me to use PIC16F876a/77a,rite..
    anyway can i use IF-691(photodiode)..
    http://www.i-fiberoptics.com/leds/IFD91.pdf
    because i propose that i going to drive the optical source through fiber optic to photodiode to minimize losses and noise...so do you think plastic fiber optic photodiode can be used...and another problem i may face is the optic source such as laser source...any suggestion on laser diode with fiber optic...
    since i using PIC and my topic is to design a lower cost optical power meter..can i use 7 segment display...?besides that can i have a look on ur circuitry design of optical power meter ...it will be a great help for my project..
    thanks a lot...

--[[ ]]--