Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for datasheet of a car odometer LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

banh

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
anyone has datasheet of the odometer LCD often found in car. it has 16 pins, straight in one row.

lcd car odometer

i really need to drive this LCD but have no clue about pin configurations :(

Re: car odometer LCD

Hi,

Its pretty difficult to know anything about an LCD from a picture :/ Especially since there are thousands of different models and makes available nowdays.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=COG+LCD+16+pins&btnG=Search&meta=
See?

Have you looked carefully for a part number? It may be written in tiny letters on the back somewhere. The only real assumption I can make is that its a 'COG' (chip-on-glass) display.

If you're really stuck, it might be wortth while trying to 'reverse engineer' the circuit it was once in, if you still have it. You could find the power/GND pins straight away (good 'ol voltmeter style) data might be a problem.

Seeing as it has 16 pins, I doubt very much that its a serial display (UART, I2C, SPI etc..). If you look at 'basic' LCD's (without any controller on board) they have loads of pins, one for each segment, but again, I doubt whether thats what you've got. It may be compatible with the hitachi HD44780 comtroller/pinout, I'm pretty sure its a parallel data interface.

As for voltages, anywhere from 3.3-5 V I guess. You don't want to blow the controller chip :/

Good luck, hope you can find 'some' reference on it.

BuriedCode.

thanks buriedcode,
i still wonder whether it is COG type or not. as if it is, is should be able to see some 'extra part' (for the
driver).

it seems the LCD is very simple, no driver attached..

hi,

you'd be surprised by how small the chip can be, I have one where the controller IC is 1x4 mm. But that is a relatively simple controller.

I tihnk the only real option would be to look at the circuit it came from. if its an odometer, it was probably only showing numbers. But how many digits I don't know.

I would say just probe it with 2v. Start off with 2v at say 1ma. Gnd to one pin and then sequentially connect VCC to all the others. If nothing happens, up the voltage. You are bound to get something, like a few segments on, or a 'test pattern' (if it is an COG).

I'm afraid it is virtualy impossible to autoatically know anything about it unless there is a part number on it.

Good Luck,

BuriedCode

Status
Not open for further replies.