Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend a simulation software for microstrip antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstripman

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Iam doing a masters project on Microstrip Antennas and Iam in need of simulation software for that purpose. The problem is all the commercially available softwares are quite costly. Will the freely available demo versions be enough for my purpose?I need to simulate gap coupled multi resonant patches and also polygonal shaped patches. If yes which one will be more preferable? I tried using IE3D, trial version but I seemed to lose connection quite frequently and wasn't able to make any significant help.

Thanks in advance.

mstripman

Re: Software Help

Download Ansoft Designer from the www.ansoft.com ( 115 MB). It uses MoM, which should be easier to use than FEM, and anyhow you need it for a flat structure. There are also some antenna examples provided. Look at the recently posted Designer manual.

Regards:D

Re: Software Help

Hi mstripman:

I think you can also get a copy of Sonnet Lite for free to look at an antenna like this (www.sonnetsoftware.com/lite/).

You have to take a little care in setting up the problem, since Sonnet is usually a shielded formulation code, but they have good documentation on using it for radiating problems like this.

Sonnet Lite does have a limit for problem size, but you might be able to do a lot of things with it even with the limitation. They even have variables to control geometry that you can sweep and get design curves for things like VSWR vs. feedpoint location, or Zin vs. slot inset depth.

Good luck!

--Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back