Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why some appliances have three pin plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passer_by

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why is it that some appliances have three pin plugs while some have two pin plugs??

Re: plugs

It has to do with the safety laws. The third wire in the wall socket is connected to the earth at the building wall where the mains power comes in.

If the plug has two pins, the device is required to have two independent layers of insulation around the outer surface. If the outer surface is metal, it is connected to the third pin.

ahan,
can ne one tell me wats the difference between earthing and grounding,

i personally think that the third pin is for grounding,
but now this question has intrigued me a bit to ask u for a diff between earthing and grounding

bizoo said:
ahan,
can ne one tell me wats the difference between earthing and grounding,

i personally think that the third pin is for grounding,
but now this question has intrigued me a bit to ask u for a diff between earthing and grounding

It is only a word difference and depends on what country you are in. British=earth US=ground

The third pin is generally connected to the earth just for the sake of safe operation of devices

Brief explanation of this question gets in below Link – really good
**broken link removed**

plugs

the pin is termed prong... two prong, three prong plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back