Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating Q of slot resonators

Status
Not open for further replies.

svarun

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
In the warm company of God's most exquisite creati
Activity points
Hi all,

I want to calculate the Q of a resonator. The resonator is basically a slot in the ground plane of a microstrip line. I want to calculate the uloaded Q. I mean I want to decouple the effect of microstrip - slot coupling.

-svarun

svarun said:
Hi all,

I want to calculate the Q of a resonator. The resonator is basically a slot in the ground plane of a microstrip line. I want to calculate the uloaded Q. I mean I want to decouple the effect of microstrip - slot coupling.

-svarun

Hi!

What comes in my mind...
The Q will be dominantly given by radiation Q (I think we can ommit dielectric losses - the slot is filled by air and conductor losses).
Thus, what about to calculate the full structure in IE3D (using magnetic currents) and calculate the radiated power using ONLY selected cells (actually the cells forming the slot only)?
From radiated power and input power you can be able to calculate the desired Q, am I right?

You can find Q_loaded and Q_unloaded using S11 curve

Q_unloaded = (2+b^2+sqrt(4+b^4))/2b

Q_loaded = (1+b+b^2+(1+b)sqrt(1+b^2))/b

where b = S11 or 1/S11 at F_res - coupling coefficient (overcoupled or undercoupled cases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back