Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera and xilinx on the same jtag chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobik

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

is there any problem with this JTAG chain

--> PROM --> Virtex2pro --> EPC --> stratix --
<------------------------------------------------------!

do the Altera software or Xilinx software will be able to detects the FPGA?
do the programer (byteblaster or xilinx ???) wiil be able to program the EPC/PROM?
do the internal Logic analyzer will be able work via the JTAG chain?

thx,
kobik

If they are all JTAG compatible devices, it should work. In the Xilinx iMPACT software, the unrecognized Altera parts should come up as "unkown". And vice versa.

I think this is a really interesting question, I’ve never tried this before.
I’ve mixed several jtag compliant devices but never xilinx and altera
How did you get on, could you program all devices in one pass?

Bob

@ltera and xilinx on the same jtag chain

You can have all kinds of devices on a JTAG chain. The problem is most software will not recognize all devices. For example, Xilinx iMPACT will not recognize Altera chips but you can still program any Xilinx or supported device anywhere on the chian.
I once did a board redesign and put all JTAG devices on the same chain. It was convient because there was only one JTAG tap. I still had to use multiple tools to configure/program the different devices on the chain.

You have to assign the BSDL models in IMPACT, and other JTAG chain analyser software you might use, so that the software knows how to bypass the device from JTAG chain, in IMPACT, you can also specify the length of the command register of the unknown devices, and with this, IMPACT will bypass the device...

hi,
u can add altera and xilinx FPGA in chain...

but if u are using altera or xilinx programing technique then it create some hurdles..

use private company tools..xjtag

they can recognize different chips very easly..
i have worked with this type of boards...
only u need a company specific file to add in software...

cheers,
tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back