Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me make a transformer for inverter design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvd

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Inverter

I want to design an inverter. But I want to wind the transformer by myself.
Any rules for the number of turns of the primary and secondary?
Any suggestions?

Re: Inverter

what is the input and output of your inveter? u need to know at least the power or the current output of your inverter.

you can use following fomula to design your transformer:

L * Imax = N * A(cross-section area) * Bs(max flux density)

best regards

nvd said:
I want to design an inverter. But I want to wind the transformer by myself.
Any rules for the number of turns of the primary and secondary?
Any suggestions?

funster said:
you can use following fomula to design your transformer:

L * Imax = N * A(cross-section area) * Bs(max flux density)

Can you please explain what these symbols stand for (L,Imax...). I intend to design a 500W transformer. Regards

Not goning into details (everything will be as simplified as possible), I will give you here an example of calculating a transformer with 110V primary and 8V @ 5A secondary (typical "square" transformer):

If "a" is the cross-sectional area of the core in square inches and P is the secondary power (V*A), for the output power in our example of 40watts (8V * 5A) we have:
a=0.16*√P=0.16*√40=1.0 square inch
Plugging this value into equasion which will give us Turns per Volt (N/V) we have:
N/V=5/a=5/1.0=5 (turns per volt)
The primary winding is 110V; therefore the turns required on the primary are 110V*5=550 turn
The secondary is 8V, so turns required for the secondary winding: 8*5=40.

In practice transformers have losses. If you add, say, 10% turns to the secondary winding you will be covered for these loses. So, the secondary winding (in this eample) will have 44 turns ..

These equasions are based on a very conservative value of B (flux density) of 75,000 lines/square inch.

If you use this example for your calculations you probably will be wrong by 5-10% but in 1-off situation this accuracy is more than enough, especially, when you probably don't have detailed information on the core ..

Windings current rating:
Here I will give you another example on how to select copper wire AWG.
Again, not going into details, lets assume that we select 1000 circular mils as a safe density. So for your secondary current of 5A we will have 5*1000=5000 circular mils. From "General-Purpose Wire Table" (easy to find on the web: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/wirega.html#c2 ) we can find the nearest AWG of the secondary winding as 13 gauge (wire size AWG=13).
In the previous example we had total power of 40VA and th primary voltage of 110V. In this case your prmary current will be 40/110≈0.36A.
Again using he same value of "circular mils" of 1000, from the same table you can select for 360 circular mils (0.36*1000) the AWG will be between 24 and 25 wire size, and I would suggest the value of 25.

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back