Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET or relay for turning on a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it better to use a relay to turn on a device or an N channel MOSFET? Which one is more efficient?

Re: MOSFET or relay?

For switchong dc power on/off a solid state device such as mosfets (n-channel - sink, or p-channel - source) are better option than a relay, but they don't offer isolation option.
Also, one has to make sure that the Ron of a mosfet working as a switch is as low as possible, preferably <0.01Ω, in some cases ..
Regards,
IanP

MOSFET or relay?

what is Ron?

When a mosfet is on, doesn't it produce heat which lower its efficiency?

i'm making an auto on switch for my scooter. A tilt switch will be connected to the mosfet which will connect the battery to the scooter (16v @ 8amp) when ever the steering bar is raised up. Is it a good idea to use a mosfet in my project?

Ron is internal serial resistance of mosfet's channel when it is ON. Just imagine situation that Ron ≈ 1Ω and the current is ≈5A. What you have is 5V accross D and S and 25W of heat is generated. Now take one with Ron ≈ 0.01Ω. In the latter case the voltage accross mosfet will be ≈0.05V and heat will be only 250mW ..

For your application I would use p-channel mosfet such as IRF5305 or similar ..

Regards,
IanP

Here are some other examples of low-resistance p-channel mosfets:
IRF5210, MTP50P03HDL, RFG60P05E ...
So, if you don't have access to similar mosfets better use a relay ..
Regards,
IanP

david90

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
MOSFET or relay?

how much power does a typical relay dissipate?

If I use a relay, should there be some kind of protection circuit to protect the 555 timer chip from the relay? I use the 555 turn on the scooter for an x amount of time when ever the tilt switch trips.

As far as contact resistance is concerned, you may almost ignore it. Sme power will be used to activate a relay, and that depends on the relay's size and col resistance.
Usually, when you switch dc power with a relay you will have a "spike", which can be dangerous for electronic components, so you can consider basic protection to 555 power line (zener diode + cap) and/or inputs (again, a zener diode..).
Regards,
IanP

MOSFET or relay?

by 555 power line u mean the VCC pin? The relay causes the whole circuit to spike or just one area?

Where would I put the cap?

Vcc (pin 8) ..
As close to the 555 as possible, and between pins 8 and 1 ..
Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.