Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

assembling a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffttan

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys,

if im gonig to assemble a new pc. what things i should know? how about the specs of each component? where can i learn to understand them?

thank you

I didn't really expect someone to ask such a question in an electronics forum when there are tons of computer forums out there.
Anyway, here are some link. Computer assembly techniques have not changed much over the past decade, so assembling the newest comps shouldn't stray much from what is described. Best is to ask the shop to come up with the configuration to ensure that you don't get any incompatible parts.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/index.html
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/index.html

I agree with Checkmate statement and you have so many possibilities, a lot of manufacturers and brands. You have not written what are your requirements and application, but to help you in general lines:

1) Choose the processor: Intel, AMD, Via, PowerPC
Check in the manufaturers sites to see the models and specifications of each processor. The clock is not a parameter to compare performance. AMDs processors with lower clocks than Intel processors can have the same or better performance. Check for the heatsink+cooler problem, as with high speed clocks, the processor can burn literally if not properly cooled.

2) Memory: RAM size, type of module and speed (eg. 256Mbytes DDR 400 PC3200). The speed must match the FSB speed.

3) Motherboard: size, number of slots and types (PCI, AGP8X), on board peripherals (video, USB ports, parallel and serial ports, IDE interfaces SATA, sound, etc), slots for memory modules, Front Side Bus clock (e.g 400MHz). The motherboard must support the processor you have choosen (and the cooler). Brands are very important, don´t buy very cheap MB.

4) Video board: AGP8X bus, size of memory, Nvidia or Radeon types, with or without TV out, Video capture, etc

5) Hard Disk size and speed (10000RPM), interface type (SATA)

You can look in the manufacturers sites and check the manuals and specifications sheets if they match your requirements for a new computer.

Ok for what purpose u want to assemble a pc for for home use or programming or cadding or gaming or firmware development or embedded programming for each one the configuration varies!!!:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back