Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is special bus often used in 8-bit CPU system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhytr

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We often see AHB or APB in SOC system using ARM CPU and other bus such WISHBONE is also used in some 32-bit CPU system.
But in my design case,a 8-bit CPU(ex.8051) is enough to read/write the 8-bit control/status registers in the co-processors(maybe 3 or 4).And i want to make the co-processors access the data in the RAM directly,which is to be processed.So i am trying to design a bus to connect the CPU,the processors ,and an arbiter is also needed.But i can hardly find a 8-bit bus design in the papers.So i want to know whether my design is realizable and resonable or not? Thanks!
As an alternative,I can connected all the control/status registers and RAM to the 8-bit CPU and map them as outside RAM.But the CPU will take over all the data transfers,which takes more time compared to using a bus.

if the processor will not connect other device designed by others, you can use any bus, of course the data is 8 bits, even you can define a bus by yourself

As u r planning for an soc, u can define a ur own particular bus which suits all ur devices, i.e 8 bitdata bus and supports 2 or 3 masters and an arbiter for these masters.
Even though u use AHB bus u can use only 8-bit bus, There are four strobes for example for a 32 bit bus i.e
0-7 bits, 0001
8-15 bits, 0010
16-23 bits, 0100
24-31 bits,1000
if u use 1111 then the data is 32 bits
and also u can use HBurst and HSize in the AHB protocol

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor