Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What different are between ESD and EOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemolee

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between eos and esd

Dear Sir,

If the chip fail after RA test, how can I judge the reason of chip fail?
ESD or EOS??

differences between esd and eos

I think EOS is more related to the measure of gateoxide lifetime of the device. While ESD is a measure of how well the chip can absorb high voltage spikes. For your question, sorry i don't know what is the RA test.

what is the difference between esd and eos

Electrical Overstress, or EOS, is a failure mechanism wherein the device is subjected to excessive voltage, current, or power. Electrostatic Discharge, or ESD, is a special type of EOS mechanism in the form of a single-event, rapid transfer of electrostatic charge between two objects

eos mechanism

If the failure is caused by electrostatic, it will be ESD. Other overstress failure can be sorted to EOS. In fact ESD is one of EOS.

ESD is a form of EOS.

EOS as stated earlier is any Volt or Current condition outside a circuits normal operating conditions. The resulting failures manifest themselve as dielectric ruptures (over voltage) or thermal damage (over current/power). ESD typically has a very small amount of total energy available so the damage is smaller and more contained within a single device or even on small section of a device. EOS on the other hand has large amount of energy available (i.e. power supply tranisent). The damage can melt metal lines, bond wires, and fuse plastic package to the die surface.

The difference between ESD and EOS is the amount of damage done as estimated by the energy available in the event.

Attached is a paper Titled: "Physical Failure Anaysis to Distinguish EOS and ESD Failures" that may be helpful. I'm sure there are others you could find on the WEB that are similar topics.

DoctorProf is very professional.His description make us easily understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back