Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100Base TX ethernet on embedded system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamdad

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need ethernet connectivity on an embedded system, and I need it to be 100Base TX (100mbit/s), anyone has any experience on this? any suggestions? any modules available??
thnx
.b

100Base TX ethernet

What do you have availble for a micro or FPGA? You can put a PHY or integrated MAC/PHY onboard and start there. There are also some serial to Ethernet modules available out there, but the throughput would be horrible since 100Base TX operates at much higher speeds.

Re: 100Base TX ethernet

h**p://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/xport.html

//a

I have an FPGA onboard, but it cannot run ethernet phy, since I have to leave it for the rest of the designer guys to fill it in! for the serial/ethernet bridges, as mentioned, the bandwidth is far too inadequate...

100Base TX ethernet

Then why not just use an external MAC IC? You can get PCI-bus ones, or other types depending on what your FPGA designers would like...

the PCI/ETH bridges are a little bit troublesome since the FPGA is supposed to have some sort of access to the ethernet... rerouting data back to host via the PCI is not efficient. this is why I prefer some good ethernet module with a simple data interface for the FPGA

100Base TX ethernet

If you can't use an external PHY and spare some logic (not that much) for a MAC, and you can't use an external MAC/PHY, I'm not sure what else there is. Maybe take a look at Broadcom's lineup since they have quite a bit, or some NPU's?

I've found something called the NetBurner, slightly expensive (around 150USD) but maybe I should give it a try...

Try using SM91C111. (h**p://www.smsc.com). It's a MAC/PHY that supports 8, 16 and 32 bits CPU direct accesses.

bamdad

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

The chip is called LAN91C111 and it's datasheet can be found on **broken link removed**

Regards, mikasi

try digi connect ME module , u can interface easily on FPGA board

I've checked those LAN91C111 and other LAN9000 series, they seem to be a good choice...

Added after 40 minutes:

the digiconnect EM and digiconnect ME are both serial/ethernet bridges... the serial datarate is far too low... the 100mbps is literally needed, I think the LAN9000 series are more suitable for this application. does anyone know a distributor for the chip?

where can we find LAN91C111 for buy (by internet)?

You can also try DM9000 chip from davicom
**broken link removed**

You can also try RTL8139C(L)+ chip from REALTEK
**broken link removed**

8139 has a PCI interface I think, is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back