Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement a timer set on 30 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

risingcurrent

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys

am trying to implement a circuit to turn on a led after 30 days , want the circuit to be small , know that with 555 timer the circuit can get big and cap sizes can be a problem , is there a alternative way to implemen this using rc or lc timers or a smaller 555 timer circuit.

would appreciate if you could post a test circuit , all comments welcome

thank you
rising current

Re: timer 30 days

I don't know how such things are usually implemented, but I would use a cristal oscilator and digital dividers. I don't think that you can get something accurate with the 555 (variation on the cap value, leakage currents...)

Why don't use a microprocessor with a 32.768Khz cristal???

Try:
Timer and divider 74HC5555
**broken link removed**
Regards,
IanP

thank you Ian for taking the time to respond , will try the programmable delay counter from phillips .

just curious for a further modification of the project i am doing , the circuit has to function as a indicator for the application after 30 days , if it is not a repetetive task would there be a simpler way without using a 555 timer at all or microcontroller options where there is way for the circuit to turn on the led automatically after 30 days .

all comments appreciated .

rising current

Don't ever think to do this with a 555 .This is the future already .micros are under a dolar .A pic12c509 can do this with very little lines of code .
1) set up a timer interruput or poll a counter
2)increment the variable senconds
SECS >60 :
3)increment the variable minutes
MINS > 60 :
4) increment the variable hours
HOURS > 24:
5) inmcrment the variable DAYS
DAYS = 30 do yout thing

If you want to do it the analog way . Detect the night and day with an optotransistor and count 30 transitions and that will be the same accuracy that with an 555

Status
Not open for further replies.