Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WANT TO DISCUSS ABOUT GNURADIO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This appears to be a very interesting software defined radio PROJECT .Until you have to RECOMPILE it then you realize that THEY REALLY MEAN SOFTWARE in big terms .This people have OVERCOMPLICATED something that COULD be more portable and much simpler . I guess their idea was to use open software as much as possible .But then all the very familiar INCOMPATIBILITY of it becomes a nightmare to handle.I have been 3 days working on the BASIC plataform and still i'm paining through all kinds of problems. Pyhton is a SCRIPT LANGUAGE HELLO .
why they had to rely on other CONFIGURATORS and MAKEs .Bottom line .if you want to go mingw well you will suffer. Unless you are a student on vacation during a winter STORM.But i'm very much interested on this project .because the price of mini ITX plataforms running at 1Gigz with USB2 and all kinds of multimedia peripherals is well under $300 . So it could be very nice to use tiny PCs as DSP plataforms .Now you might see my point. Why invest in COMPLICATED DSP machinery ( JTAG EMULATORS going in excess of 1500) .when you can buy a $300 PC plataform with half a gig of RAM .(don't get me started with all kinds of DSP benchmarks ) .AUDIO and VIDEO can perfectly be processed on a linux BOX .
LINUX .. ah linux .. that was my bad decision .I should have started with a LINUX BOX instead of trying to go XP .Anyways .anybody here interested on doing DSP with ITX architectures ??
A USB2 ADC board will be a great PROJECT ..!!

Well i discovered a USB2 peripheral for soft RADIO

here : http://oscar.dcarr.org/ssrp/

I'm so sad that NOBODY has paid attention to this open project .there is so much to do .A lot of people are looking for DSP projects and telecom .Soft defined radios is going to become a hot AREA Because is not just RADIO is TV also .
and the old analog TV STANDARD is on the way OUT!
So any one will like to talk about ??

hi elton,
I think it is worth doing it,i am interested in this project but all i have is PC with linux/win2k would that suffice or would it require some extra hardware?
pimr

well there is a cheap way to start .a PC is ok .linux or cygwin is ok .I posted up there the project for the peripheral .A very fast USB based DAC and ADC .from there you can produce IF + a $3.00 IQ modulator .. then all you need is a up converter ( can be a tv tuner ) or a downconverter and you can do a LOT .but A LOT .

What is GNu Radio about? A software radio? listening to radio on the computer?

irfanhab said:
What is GNu Radio about? A software radio? listening to radio on the computer?

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

Software radio is the technique of getting code as close to the antenna as possible. It turns radio hardware problems into software problems. The fundamental characteristic of software radio is that software defines the transmitted waveforms, and software demodulates the received waveforms. This is in contrast to most radios in which the processing is done with either analog circuitry or analog circuitry combined with digital chips. GNU Radio is a free software toolkit for building software radios.

Software radio is a revolution in radio design due to its ability to create radios that change on the fly, creating new choices for users. At the baseline, software radios can do pretty much anything a traditional radio can do. The exciting part is the flexibility that software provides you. Instead of a bunch of fixed function gadgets, in the next few years we'll see a move to universal communication devices. Imagine a device that can morph into a cell phone and get you connectivity using GPRS, 802.11 Wi-Fi, 802.16 WiMax, a satellite hookup or the emerging standard of the day. You could determine your location using GPS, GLONASS or both.

**broken link removed**

any one is working on this project.I would like to do a project based on the software radio concept.but the "ettus board" is too costly for me to play with any one have any alternatives??

Hi,

I am new on GNU Radio platform, can any one help me to design a new Reed Solomon Encoder block, or any other way of designing a new block step-by-step. What should i have to do first ? I am very confused..

Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back