Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what's the main idea of regulating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutty boy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi my friends
I want to Know what's meant by regulation and what's the main idea of regulation
Thanks

REGULATING means TO keep the output voltage constant whether source voltage or load is varied.

hai

I don't know in which area u r asking "regulation"

anyway in power electronics there are 2 regulations. line and load regulations.

line regulations means maintaining a voltage at a setpoint level eventhough the

the input line voltage reduces or increases. Normally this is done thro' closed loop control actions.

regulation means to regulate the input signal, because not all the component suit with AC source, so we need to regulate it into DC, so we use rectifier to rectify the signal, and then we filter it and then regulate it, usually we use diode as rectifier, so the sine wave would be rectified, all the sine wave that have + and - will just only have one direction or + only.. and so on

In electrical there is a term called ideal voltage source which have constant voltage also when the load current varies. But such a voltage source which supplies constant voltage for varing load current is not possible. So we go for regulation to maintain the load voltage constant as much as possible. This regulation can be achieved by two means
1)Series regulation in which the regulating element is in series with the load
2)Shunt regulation in which the regulating element is in parallel with the load

The regulation is to stabilize the voltage

or current into required range.

best regards

nutty boy said:
Hi my friends
I want to Know what's meant by regulation and what's the main idea of regulation
Thanks

voltage regulator: to get the volatge required (for e.g. to step down from 12V to 5V), and to keep it stable.

the main function of regulator is just to provide a good voltage referrence and some amount of load current from it. need feed back close loop to achieve.

all the answers are giving the same meaning
regulation is keeping output constant when load is change
a simple example in gengrators when load changes the voltage drop will increase causing the output voltage to decrease
to keep the voltage constant we use the voltage regulator to increase rotor current supply to increse output voltage and to compensate voltage drop.

The voltage regulator is to reduce the ripple and to stabilize the magnitude of the dc output voltage of supply against variations caused by changes in load current.(from <<Microelectronic Circuits>>)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back