Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing correct cable size

Status
Not open for further replies.

netwizio

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can any one please help me out in determining the correct cable size

all the steps in choosing the appropriate cable size for the loading, the current, 3 phase or one phase supply, kva or kw ratings, the distance etc.

Accoording to what law/country? I can draw 20 amps through a 0,75mm2 (~AWG 16-14) but it aint legal over here.

well though helpful but not so much as I live in asia

Infact I want to know all the steps from a to z for determining the cable size.
I mean starting fro the total power consumption, no of phases, then determining the currents, temperature, other factors and finally the appropriate cable.

Hi,
To do it proffecionally you must know the starting current,the length of wires,ambient temp. ...etc just to clarify for examble under ground cable has less current density over cables on a tray you will never be able to do it witout the book I suggest fo you NEC code (National electrical code) you will find all the necessary information to choose the type and size of your cables for your specific application. If you don like to go through that book as a minimum I suggest you a booklet made by Clockner Moller (german company producing contactors ,switch gears....etc) made for their customers in a simple way. But sure I preferr the NEC book but you will pay effort, if you will do it once or twice you can send me your COMPLETE data and I can calculate the size of ewires for you.
Regards

hi friend .. i have a ready made cable size selection chart .. cable size is calculated based on the power,phase,voltage and length..
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.