Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

<CST> Defining Ports and B.C. for a power splitter &lt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushhead

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

Background story:

I'm designing a 2-way power splitter and would like your comments/advices about some issues i've encountered.

First of all, the splitter is a "standard" wilkinson power splitter, using a 50 ohm microstrip line on a grounded dielectric slab.

After building th model, adjusting the mesh and defining waveguide ports, i've conducted several simulations, each with different Boundary Conditions (B.C.).
1st. All electric BC ( as CST recommends for this type of models )
2nd. All open BC (Tight)
3rd All open expanded,
4th All electric with full de-embedding.

The problem :

Each simulation gave different results from the others !
I understand that there's a difference between theory and "real world" and some optimization has to b made, but....the same splitter resonates at 4GHz in the 1st and at 5GHz at the 2nd simulation....

Can you help ?

BTW: I made sure same mesh density and port impedance is kept , especially at the 3rd simulation.

Re: <CST> Defining Ports and B.C. for a power splitter

Obviously BCs do matter and obviously changing the BCs affect the resonant frequency. In real world the splitter would go into a package and hence CST recommends using Perfect E BCs. I do not have any problem with your results.

-svarun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back