Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Legal issues concerning IP Core compatible with MSP430 core

Status
Not open for further replies.

yego

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IP Core - Legal issues

Hello,

Suppose that I created the soft core which is binary compatible with the MSP430 core.
Are there any legal issues I would face if I tried to trade this core ?
Is the instruction set licensed or copyrighted and if not, can it be freely used ( just like the Intel's 8086 instruction set used by the AMD )?

Your input will be much appreciated.

Ragards, yego

Re: IP Core - Legal issues

You should examine the documentation you received with the files. If some aspect is legally restricted, the files will come with a license agreement that details what you can and cannot do with the information and code.

Do you notice that when you install a new program you have to read a license agreement and click the agree button before it will load?

If you obtained the files from another person, you should try to obtain them from the original company so that you will get the license agreement with them to read.

@flatulent,

excuse me , but what files you are talking about ?
There are no files I got from somebody else. Only my own VHDL design files !

In this case since you were operating on your own and anyone who needs any IP from someone else to work with your files will have to buy them from someone else it looks like you are not obligated for any licensing fees.

yego

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks Flatulent for your input, but I am afraid that your opinion is based on the theory only.
I'd also like to hear from somebody who had had the same doubt and found a "real world" answer to it.

I'd like to oversee and thus avoid any possible legal issues in case I decided to sell or trade (whatever it means ) such a product.

regards, yego

I agree with Flatulent : how do you know that your instruction set is compatible with the MSP430 core ???
The files you used to check this compatibility will the reference for a court.

The best way to know is probably asking TI directly.

The complete instruction set might be copyright, or some areas may be copyright (ex: specific instructions).

It also depend if you wish to sell the core (either as raw core or within a finished product), or distribute it under a GPL license.

yego

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back