Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

over current protection in LDO design

Status
Not open for further replies.

leebluer

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi, all,

now i am designing the over-current-protection function in LDO. i am confused about the stability of OCP loop, but not the main loop in LDO. why do we need to stable the OCP loop? and i am also puzzled with the function of OCP. is that only to prevent the great current in pass device when Vin is powered on?

thanks
leebluer

hi, all,

how to realize the over-current-protection in design? i have used a current-mirror to realize it, but which destroy the stability of LDO loop. i want to know others how to realize it. pls. give me some help:(

Thanks in advance
leebluer

hi, wonbef,

thank you for your reply. but i also cannot get your meaning. could you explain it more detailed?

Thanks
Leebluer

The most accurate way would be to use a current mirror (N:1) ratio of power FET to sensor. You can then make the drains of the two transistors equal using an amplifier and generate a "reference gate voltage" on the sensor transistor. Use this voltage to clamp the gate of the power transistor when the current is exceeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.