Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL errror for real, std_logic_vector for sine value in DDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangitacp93

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to generate sine value for DDS, but I have error during synthesis. I have included ''ieee.math_real.all''

Error: [Synth 8-2778] type error near sin ; expected type std_logic_vector ["C:/Users/Sangita.POKHREL/Switches_led/Switches_led.srcs/sources_1/new/top.v":50]

[Synth 8-1731] cannot convert type real to type std_logic_vector ["C:/Users/Sangita.POKHREL/Switches_led/Switches_led.srcs/sources_1/new/top.v":52]

The code snippet is as below:
-- generate sine value

function init_lut_sin return t_lut_sin is
variable return_lut : t_lut_sin:=(others=>(others=>'0'));
variable v_tstep : real :=0.0;
variable v_qsine_sgn : std_logic_vector(C_LUT_BIT-1 downto 0):=(others=>'0');
constant step : real := 1.00/real(C_LUT_DEPTH);
begin
for count in 0 to C_LUT_DEPTH-1 loop
v_qsine_sgn := std_logic_vector(sin(MATH_2_PI*v_tstep)); --(sin (2PI/2^n))
return_lut(count) := v_qsine_sgn;
v_tstep := v_tstep + step;
end loop;
return return_lut;
end function init_lut_sin;

Real has no representation in std_logic_vector, it's not synthesizable. Instead you need to convert real values to integer with a reasonable scaling factor and then to signed.

- - - Updated - - -

E.g.:

Code VHDL - [expand]
v_qsine_sgn := std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(integer(2.0**(C_LUT_BIT-1)*sin(MATH_2_PI*v_tstep)),C_LUT_BIT));

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
are you trying to convert to float or fixed values?
VHDL 2008 has the fixed_pkg and float_pkg that can convert real values to either.

eg:

Code VHDL - [expand]
use ieee.fixed_pkg.all;

constant my_real_as_a_slv : std_logic_vector(15 downto 0) := to_slv( to_ufixed( 8.257, 7, -8) ); -- converts 8.257 to a 8.8 usigned fixed, then slv

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back