Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic circuit plot from Cadence Virtuoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to print my circuit schematic view, the circuit is not that big, its like fully differential amplifier with biasing circuit.

I tried to print the schematic by using three methods but non of them is giving me a clear result that I can use the picturer in formal writing or presentation

method1. using export image

method2. using export HTML from ADEXL

method3. using "print" command

Do Cadence suggest to use third part software for plot ?

Thank you

As long as you not taking care on drawing style, don't expect good looking diagrams.
For publishing is better to use vector drawing software (any which you are familiar) rather then configuring V-Schematic editor and redrawing schematics.

BTW CDNS of course does not recommend any 3rd party software, the most probably would propose export to HTML because it is fancy feature added by them in 6.17.

As long as you not taking care on drawing style, don't expect good looking diagrams.
For publishing is better to use vector drawing software (any which you are familiar) rather then configuring V-Schematic editor and redrawing schematics.

BTW CDNS of course does not recommend any 3rd party software, the most probably would propose export to HTML because it is fancy feature added by them in 6.17.

Dear Dominik

thank you for your reply
Indeed I am taking care in my drawing and I draw it in such away that I want to look like that in my writing report,
Also I am using the print of the schematic in vector file type eps,
even I used the HTML as I mentioned before,
the problem the MOS or any element in the circuits becoming small when I put in the writing slide or page.
redrawing the circuit again in different software is time-consuming

However, which softaware you recommend me as you said "For publishing is better to use vector drawing software (any which you are familiar) rather then configuring V-Schematic editor and redrawing schematics." ?

Thank you

Indeed I am taking care in my drawing and I draw it in such away that I want to look like that in my writing report,

You can disagree with my opinion, but after I saw some of your posted schematics my opinion is: no you don't.
In Virtuoso Schematic editor is possible to draw perfect diagrams, unfortunately 4σ of people doesn't care.
And since this point, please don't argue, simply treat my opinion as irrelevant.

Junus2012 said:
However, which softaware you recommend me as you said "For publishing is better to use vector drawing software (any which you are familiar) rather then configuring V-Schematic editor and redrawing schematics." ?

There is a lot of software and the best one is this one which you are familiar with.
Some people would recommend MS Visio as it is MS product, provides good integration with Word, etc. Some other prefers Inkscape which is very nice open source multiplatform vector drawing soft. Very good, especially for it database is X-Fig. However, unexperienced person might feel bad with it interface (is like Emacs or Vi for Word user). I found good opinions about classic Xcircuit guy, also gEDA provides nice stuff. If you are linux user, kicad has been developed to something very well. There is a lot of various stuff and the best one is this which allows you to make work looking good and done quickly.

Thank you Dominik

I didn't mean to argue, but the circuit I draw for report I make it different.

See I have partentioned the circuit to make it more visible, but nothing from transistor you can read nor it is clear to see the difference between nmos or pmos,
may be there is option that make them saved bigger ?

Thank you for the sofware you mentioned, I am thinking to use Visio

- - - Updated - - -

By the way I just had a look on the Xcircuit guy, looks very good

- - - Updated - - -

sample picture

part1.jpg

You need to pack the drawing tighter if you want to
resolve texts and small symbol details. The example
is much more sparse than it needs to be, what is the
value of all that "white space"?

If I'm making the library I like to make the symbol
features sensibly scaled. But other peoples' idea of
"sensible" is what it is.

I have looked at XCircuit, it's capable but demands
a complete unlearning of CAD-normal key and mouse
functions. It is indeed meant for "typesetting" and
clean drawing, and can be made to produce SPICE
netlists. Of course there's now a need to create the
whole set of used symbols, and to transcribe without
error....

I've been using xschem for my work, it's lean and the
key / mouse bindings are more "natural" for an ex-
Cadence-user. But again, libraries and transcription
are on you. Recent feature additions include ability to
plot from ngspice, by net selection (in the ngspice
native plot window) and a linkage to "gaw", a nice
little waveform viewer. The plotting has been fine as
far as I've used it.

I usually use cadence Export with these settings. Produces decent images and if you zoom in for example in your power point presentation you can read device sizes even if circuit is big.

Capture.PNG

Output as HPGL file or Post Script file not eps.
I use HPGL.

Dear Pancho,

I tried both ps and eps they looks the same
I also tried HPGL, but the file I can't open it with inkscape

- - - Updated - - -

I usually use cadence Export with these settings. Produces decent images and if you zoom in for example in your power point presentation you can read device sizes even if circuit is big.

View attachment 159663

Thank you Suta
This method is good when I want to present my circuit from computer but actually to print or put it in document still has the same problem

Attached is a Microsoft Word document which imports HPGL in it.

I tried both ps and eps they looks the same
Not same.
Convert ps to pdf.
Then export pdf as word or power point by using PDF-XChange Editor with registration.

Attachments

• HPGL.zip
    291 KB · Views: 117
If by same problem you mean that you can't see the device parameters, it is because the circuit is too big. It saves what you have in the schematic.

Attached is a Microsoft Word document which imports HPGL in it.

Not same.
Convert ps to pdf.
Then export pdf as word or power point by using PDF-XChange Editor with registration.

Dear Pancho,
Thank you for your help
I downloaded the word file but it is not able to detect the HPGL file, means not visible to insert,
I also installed XnView image viewer and couldn't open it

I am kindly attaching you the file to see if it has a problem when you open it

View attachment tg.rar

- - - Updated - - -

If by same problem you mean that you can't see the device parameters, it is because the circuit is too big. It saves what you have in the schematic.

Thank you suta, exactly my problem happen with bigger circuit, with small circuit the clearence of the circuit is acceptable

You need to install the Microsoft HPGL import filter for word, review Microsoft help.

As a practical matter, document illustrations may come
out just fine with alt-PrScrn if you pre-zoom appropriately
and post-edit it in an image editor, provided you are on
a decent resolution monitor. If nothing else, Paint3D can
do the color map and crop functions.

Cadence's offered choices are lame and work-making. And
not improved in a decade or more.

Surprise, surprise.

Thank you friends for your help,

It all helped me to make decesion wather I go to use the Cadence plotter or third part software(like Xcircuit, Xschem, Visio), my supervisor also suggesting to buy the "Smart Draw".

By the way, I understand now there is a difference between ps, and eps file, but I dont see the setting of the ps prinView attachment .cdsplotinit.rarter in the cadence .cdsinitplot, please check this from the attachement

View attachment .cdsplotinit.rar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back