Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MMD division value load maximum delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikosTS

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
Suppose we have a Fractional-N frequency synthesizer employing an MMD + 3rd order MASH loop. If we want to divide by the fractional value 100.XX ( where XX = fractional value ) , the MASH will instruct the MMD to divide by values between 97 - 104.
My question is , which is the maximum delay for a new division value to be loaded from MASH to the divider?
At first glance, you would say it should be 1 period of VCO frequenct in order not to lose a single period between the 2 divison values. However because of the architecture of MMD , as I understand, there is some extra time that you can still load a new value without dividing wrongly.
If Tvco is the output period of the VCO, could we quantify this maximum delay in terms of VCO periods? E.g , max delay = 10*Tvco?

If i wasnt clear enough, please tell me so I can explain it better

Thank you advance

Simply you can not understand things correctly.
Clock of MASH is a divided clock output not constant.

Yeap i get it , i dont understand anything at all. Can we move on please?

Status
Not open for further replies.