Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High speed PCB design, which materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snir_r

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I'm going to design an high speed HDI pcb - 18L 80mil thickness.
I'm going to run 25G-KR, 10G-KR, PCIe Gen 4.0 (16MT/s).

My trace length will be around 5-6 Inch to the backplane.

The PCB material will be Isola I-Tera MT40 or Panasonic Megtron6.

I'm not sure which PCB material will be the better for this design, the spec pretty the same.
Please advice.

Regards,
Snir

Hi

The I-TERA MT40 from Isola Group is a Low-Loss Laminate Material, suitable for many high-speed digital and RF/microwave printed circuit designs. This material has a dielectric constant (Dk) of 3.38 to 3.75 which is stable between -40°C and 140°C up to W-band frequencies (75 to 110 GHz). This laminate material offers a very low dissipation factor (Df) of 0.0028 to 0.0035, making it a cost-effective alternative to PTFE and other commercial microwave and high-speed digital laminate materials. The I-TERA materials have a transition temperature (Tg) of 200 degrees Celsius. These RoHS-compliant laminates offer processing benefits like FR-4 process compatibility, dimensional stability, multiple reflow capability, and multiple lamination cycles.

The I-Tera MT40 laminate materials are currently being offered in both laminate and prepreg form in typical thicknesses (10, 20, 30, 60 mils) and standard panel sizes. They provide a complete material solution package for high-speed digital multilayer, hybrid, RF/microwave, multilayer, and double-sided printed circuit designs. These materials do not require any special through-hole treatments commonly needed when processing PTFE-based laminate materials. They have IPC-4103/17 and UL (E41625) industry approvals and are currently manufactured in North America and Europe. They are suitable for applications in aerospace & defense, automotive & transportation, medical, industrial & instrumentation, and RF/ microwave market.

Panasonic Commercializes Halogen-free MEGTRON6 for Communications Infrastructure Equipment
PANASONIC’S NEW HALOGEN-FREE MULTI-LAYER CIRCUIT BOARD MATERIAL ENABLES GREATER-CAPACITY AND HIGHER-SPEED TRANSMISSION OF DATA COMMUNICATION, WHICH WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE POPULARIZATION OF 5TH-GENERATION (5G) MOBILE COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS.
Osaka, Japan – Panasonic Corporation announced today that it has commercialized halogen-free[1], ultra-low transmission loss[2], multi-layer circuit board material, called Halogen-free MEGTRON6 (Representative part number: R-5375), suited for communications infrastructure equipment such as fifth-generation (5G) mobile communication systems. Production will begin in April 2019.

With the upcoming launch of 5G mobile communication system services, greater-capacity and faster data transmission speeds will be needed. Multi-layer circuit board material used as a key component in equipment such as servers and routers that support core systems for communications networks will require halogen-free material from the viewpoint of environmental protection, not to mention high-capacity and high-speed data transmission. Panasonic has commercialized this multi-layer circuit board material that is ideal for communications infrastructure equipment by achieving a halogen-free material that shows low transmission loss, high heat resistance, and high reliability, based on the company’s proprietary resin design technology and compounding technology.

Hope these can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back