Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2n7000 ON resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the ON resistance (the resistance from the drain to the source) of a common 2n7000, when the gate is driven by 5vDC?

Hi,

You want us to read the datasheet for you? Or why do you ask?

There are some values in the specifications table (4.5V doesn't differ that much from 5V)
And there are charts...and at the charts you see that it depends on V_DS and current.

So if you have those values, then you may find the answer on your own.
We don't have the values, thus we can't give a detailed answer.

Klaus

Is it the RdsON I should look?
Also is 200mA the max switching current at 12v?

Last edited:

Hi,

Ok, counter question: what´s the point of a question that is that incomplete and thus can´t be answered?

For me it´s similar to: What´s the result of: A x 3 = B
Only if you know the value of A you can get the result of B.

The same is here.
Only if you know the conditions like V_DS and current you can get the value of R_DS_ON.

What answer do you accept as a good answer?
2 Ohms is correct, 14.3 Ohms is correct, 233 Ohms is correct....all values are correct. Each value for a given condition.
But as long as you don´t give a condition .. don´t blame it on the datasheet, don´t blame it on me, don´t blame it on those who didn´t answer at all.

Klaus

Remark: This is my reply to the original post #3 of neazoi - before editing..

Is it the RdsON I should look?
Also is 200mA the max switching current at 12v?
R = resistance
ON = ON
And I assume you mean the resistance between Drain and Source (ds)

If so then yes, look for RdsON.

But you can´t have both 200mA and 12V at the same time. (only in a special case).
If you have 200mA through drain and source ... and have 12V across DS then according Ohm´s law R = V / I = 12V / 0.2A = 60 Ohms.

Are you sure you have 200mA and 12V at the same time?

Klaus

Forget about it. Really.

Hi,

you may be upset. today.

But maybe in some time, when you have learned what values one needs to determine R_ds_ON... you may understand my answers.

And really, my question:
What answer do you accept as a good answer?
was meant absolutely serious. It was not meant to be ironic, rude, funny or similar.

I really don´t know what you wanted to hear.

Klaus

No upset. Just limited time. I shouldn't ask.

Hi,

I think Klaus was being fair/honest, not rude. MOSFET datasheets are slippery characters, I find them pretty hard to understand. MOSFETs Vds falls when they are turned on, like BJT Vce (sat). Off, Vds = 12V; ON, Vds = Iout x Rds(on). The 12V is only present at start of turn on: Vds falls as Ids rises - these are part of the switching losses people try to avoid with zero voltage switching or zero current switching, etc. More able members can offer a more exact and accurate definition than me.

For 12V, 200mA question, you might be better served working out gate drive needs for e.g. 200ns or 2us or whatever rise time and fall time, then calculating PD for e.g. 12V x 200mA and checking max. PD at top of datasheet, if you don't want to go through rigmarole of calculating junction temperature rise, then scrolling down to SOA chart and checking 2N7000 can handle x volts and x amps for x pulsed time or for DC.

- - - Updated - - -

Must add, BJT and MOSFET datasheets create need to extrapolate from graphs provided as they rarely match one's own expected operating conditions, and take with large pinch of salt and read small print about test conditions at bottom of each page/section. ...few people have 1% duty cycles...

Rds(on) should have three or four confusing and seemingly contradictory graphs... One approach (maybe it's sloppy, or just plain wrong) is select highest Rds(on) at highest temperature with operating conditions closest to what you expect in circuit, i.e. worst case values, from graphs and calculate Ids x Ids x Rds(on) = Vds(on). Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Not ideal as manufacturer to manufacturer there are small differences... Vishay datasheet comes closest to your requirements of what is Rds(on) at Vgs 5V, Ids 200mA = ~3.5 Ohms at 25°C. Not clear what at 125°C as neither example in graph is like requirements. 0.2A x 3R5 = 0.7Vds, ...and PD of 140mW so within limits of 160mW at 100°C and 400mW at 25°C. No SOA in Vishay but ST yes, OnSemi no. One says derate 2.8mW/°C rise. Good to compare.

View attachment 70226.pdf

Reactions: Akanimo and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Akanimo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Looks like at 20 Khz everything is OK, Pdiss, Gate Drive levels, DC and AC Pwr, Thermals

2N7000 20 Khz.JPG

Regards, Dana.

Neazoi, post a link to the data sheet to make it easier for people to point out the relevant bits for Rds-on at Vgs = 5V & 200mA ...

Status
Not open for further replies.